CAN MY EMPLOYER TAKE MY PAY IF I GET A TRAFFIC TICKET?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dogtrucker, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Please refer me to any relevant threads if this is already well covered - I'm just not finding it.
    My employer already tries to take money from drivers if there is damage to equipment (weather or not driver was at fault); they also "fine" drivers $150 if a DOT inspection turns up anything. Now, they say they will take $300 from a drivers pay check if they get a traffic ticket.

I believe this is not legal but I could be wrong. Does anyone have straight answers to this issue? Some chapter-and-verse legal citations would be helpful.

In the past, the company tried to take my money for equipment damage (unavoidable) but I protested to upper management and got them to stop. I have maintained a perfect driving record my whole career and so it's not that I am concerned about the cost but rather the principle!

NightWind and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    That sounds like a load of BS.

4. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I would tell them that if they are going to charge you for petty things like that, then I will start charging them for every minute I'm delayed on the job. I charge $100/minute.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look I will make this simple, they can't legally take a dime from you.

I would find another job and if they take any money from you, go file a complaint with your state.

There is no excuse for these POS fleets to exist.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Say for example you went out on a date with a girl. She says that she really likes you a lot but she wants you to sign a contract stating that anytime you do something that irks her, you would pay her $50 and any argument, she would charge you $500.

So you think about it and wonder if it’s legal. I myself would be puzzled why you would even contemplate legalities. Mr Ridgeline answered your question, BTW.

NightWind, frizzbees, tscottme and 8 others Thank this.
  7. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    They can legally deduct your bonus pay, but not your straight pay. But good luck with that. Just quit.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Document everything and when you get back to yard clean your stuff out of truck, turn it in and get a paper signed it was cleaned right then go see a lawyer and labor board. They have advocates you can use, but if you have to worry about that crap get out.

TankerYankr Thanks this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Perfect. I'd be looking for another job.

Sirscrapntruckalot and TripleSix Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's flat BS.

I wonder if this is some kind of secret trend growing like weeds under the drivers across the USA. They roll over and take the theft of their pay without complaint or resistance.

I don't see how this is legal. Take it to the Labor Board. Find some other employer.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    It is the reason the quality of the workforce has slipped, The ones who have been at it for decades will not put up with that and have moved on. Sure it is in our blood but the bs is not.

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.