Can OSS tires have new tread from a grinder?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Tripp_84, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    I work for a company that is currently using a grinder to make tread in trailers that have flat spots and no tread. The mechanic says it's legal because they are recaps. Every driver I've asked has said that's insane. But I was wondering if there's actually a violation in the fmcsa book or anything pertaining to altering tires or modifying them. I've refused to touch the trailers. The mechanic said he got the go ahead from the owner and the fleet manager. Maybe they know something I don't? On the surface it sounds outrageous.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Looks to be a nail in that one, close to the refurbished groove?

4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    using a grinder is nuts. A tire groover works way better.
    Most tires are Re groovable and it's not illegal on drives or trailer tires.

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    You sure that's a cap? Most virgin tires are regroovable, not common anymore.

That tires still look legal to me, without the groove. Probably less than 10k miles though till it gets to steel

Diesel Dave and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    But what does the "most" part mean? Which ones aren't? Is re grooving a tire at a shop with a tire grover the same as a new mechanic using a hand grinder? My confusion is if a tire has a flat spot and is less than 2/32 from that flat spot, grinding another groove just makes it deeper into the rubber. I wish there was something we could point to that says yes or no. Is this one of those things where one trooper is writing me a ticket but a different trooper is good with it?

7. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    It was a recap they only use recaps. Ya it was out of service they grinded away the bald spot. All their trailers are getting the bounce marks on the inside because their auto air system is set to 87 I've told them for years to adjust but they won't. So now they started grinded. Here's a picture of another one they haven't grinded that they will. Give you an idea of how bald some are

Attached Files:

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    with a grinder, one runs the risk of going too deep.

with a regroover, if i recall, it is a heated rod like tool, you melt away some rubber.

[​IMG]

wis bang and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    If that flat spot isn't any worse than that, it is still legal. Not saying i'd run them, but not OOS

cke Thanks this.
  10. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    I found na explanation in the fmcsa finally. So regroving is legal like you all said but there are standards. New grove depths, minimum and maximum grove widths. Among other things. Another site stressed the importance of doing it at a shop by a tire mechanic on their machine. Judging by the 25 year old new mechanic out there with a harbor freight grinder I'm assuming I'm right that the new groves aren't with in the standard lol

Attached Files:

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    No, it’s not illegal. Long as they don’t go into the cord.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.