Can Samsara be adapted for use on a mechanical engine?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Bksrt8, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if a Samsara eld can be used on a 3406b somehow? The company I want to run for uses them and I actually don't mind ELDs at all aside from then not working on mechanical engines. I've heard talk about using them in conjunction with the speed sensor on the transmission although for me I'm not sure if the 9 speed would be compatible....I understand the corrupt government (canada) would rather I spent thousands of dollars plus tax of course on a newer truck but thats not happening....is there not an eld that simply relies on GPS rather than obd information? I can get on board with the obd elds as I think it's a great way for large fleets to manage thier truck usage but companies should be able to provide an alternative for broker/lease operators who simply like running the old iron like myself with no obd port.
    Can anyone point me in the right directions so I can get rolling? Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2024
    Question, are you primarily just based in Canada or do you run in America? Perhaps Both?

I only ask because both countries have different ways of how drivers/carrier run logs. eRODS is mandated unless vehicles 1999 or older. So another question what is your year, make, model on the vehicle. also, if you are in the 150 mile air radius, you can run 16 hour days, are you just doing local deliveries or you going from say Canada/Michigan to Laredo, TX and back

4. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    I'm not concerned with the laws for Elogs, I know those just fine im not a new driver or a "new canadian" lol.
    I'm asking because the company I want to run for uses Samsara but my truck is mechanical and pre elog...I know you can still use the elog part of thier system by just running power and ground to the system to run the GPS tracking but apparently thier outward facing dash cam won't work. That seems to be the biggest issue for the company as thier insurance company relies on the cam footage. I did inform them that I always run a backup dash cam of my own and would sign over custody of the cam/SD card in the event of an incident/accident.
    Would be nice if these elog providers would build a pigtail harness or something for pre elog trucks that want to run elog.
    Personally I like elog, it's more convenient than paper and I'm not the type of driver who would foolishly try running 2 logs and drive 20 hours a day because that's just stupid and anyone that does that should have thier license taken for good. Youre an idiot for doing something so stupid and dangerous I don't care if it was the 70s it was a stupid idea then and doubly stupid today!

5. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    They also mentioned that they would not get diagnostics from my truck since theres no obd link, but as a broker I'm a little curious why the company would care....I pay fuel, I pay repairs and I pay for stickers ect so why would my trucks diagnostics be of concern to the company?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.