Can sheriff look beyond 34hr reset?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Schmeats, Nov 9, 2023.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    They don’t like your logs for any reason. You get a mandatory 10. Regardless of just done it already.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    There’s 2 rules when interacting with law enforcement.
    1, be professional and respectful
    2, answer only the question asked.
    If you’re “that guy”, they’re gonna look harder at you and your equipment and i guarantee they’ll find stuff to make your life difficult.
    When your cordial and respectful, and demonstrate professionalism, they are less inclined to dig for stuff.
    Think it through.
    Each time I’ve been pulled for inspection, which they love to do because I’m placarded for hazmat, i make a point to be the epitome of professionalism with that officer.
    I’ve even gone so far as to inquire with them that when they do the walk around, i bring my clip board and make notes as we go, turning it into an education lesson for myself.
    I’ve gotten out of things that probably should have gotten me a ticket or write up many times having done this.
    Here’s the why….
    Cops, like truckers, have enormous egos.
    They want to be the hero/alpha/ big dog on the block.
    By catering to that, enabling their mindset, they’re stroked and fluff their feathers, which satisfies their need.
    Then, because they’re content that they’re the big cheese in the scenario, they don’t feel the need to further to ensure they have your respect.
    Thus, I’m out of there fast, making money, without any ticket or warning or whatever that costs me time or money.
    That included one example of jacked up logs that surely should have gotten me oos…but he accepted the excuse of “the tablet was acting wonky and I’m working on fixing it with dispatch…. I’m just a dumb trucker.
    Play the game, but play it to your advantage.
    You wanna make money or sit on the sidelines?
    If stroking their ego keeps me rolling, I’ll stroke till my arms fall off.
    It hurts me none and makes me money.
    It’s gotten to where they know me and my truck number, and i get a wave instead of the finger in the bootyhole.
    One guy even started buying eggs from me.
    (I have a farm and sell eggs for the record)

tarmadilo, Old_n_gray, m16ty and 12 others Thank this.
  4. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Well I doubt ANY sheriff can do anything with your logbooks, but a DOT guy can.

Cops MUST be DOT qualified to inspect your commercial vehicle. This is why city kittys don't usually screw with trucks other than non-truck-road type stuff. The cop that responded to my call about someone hitting my truck and running flat out told me most city cops don't want to mess with big trucks. Too much hassle. He said he would only stop a big rig for an egregious violation.

5. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I would love to use this as my sig.

6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I was a handler and master trainer. We had strict guidelines. Everyone doesn’t.

cke, NightWind and nikmirbre Thank this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Great Post, finally someone that really understands how it works. I think drivers often forget that being a professional driver is not simply about the ability to drive safely, its how we conduct ourselves when at a reciever, during pick ups, and with the dispatcher. and most importantly with law enforcement, they are after all just doing their job, the last thing they want is someone mouthing off at them for pulling them up. Do this and a driver is bound to have the book thrown at them, they will look for any of the slightest infractions and write you up. Praise them, be polite to them and more then likely unless you've done something that they just can't ignore they'll let you off.

Old_n_gray Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I was informed by an Ohio Weigh Station inspector, that most county patrol personnel are certified for DOT inspections.

OP inspectors are allowed to inspect previous 7 days..

wis bang Thanks this.
  9. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Hey good to see you posting again(either that or I dont look in the right forums). You feeling/doing well?

cke, TROOPER to TRUCKER and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah I’m good riding my bike around the east coast.

11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Looks like the OP didn't get the sympathy he was looking for.
    May be a while before we hear from him again....

Old_n_gray and buzzarddriver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.