Can someone explain to me what a recap is

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by runawayload, Mar 23, 2013.

1. runawayload

runawayload Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I aint mad at ya. I chose a school that had a 6 week course. I hope to learn more than the basics and not be as rushed as the "Mills".

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Land Line now had a segment it

mje Thanks this.
  4. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I took a 3 day behind the wheel course lol...You learn after you get the job. I did the rest on my own.

mje Thanks this.
  5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    He worked 48 hours. He was tired and wanted a break! :)

It's gonna screw a lot of night drivers. Especially the ones that pick up and deliver between 0100-0500. Meat haulers come to mind.

Or once you get in trouble with safety and yelled at! It might include a video! :)

mje Thanks this.
  6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    possible solutions:

1) 14 hour workdays, (11 hours driving), 10 hours rest, all 7 days a week

2) Totally do away with the 34 hour restart

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    then you dont understand how to manage your time
    i drove 97 days in a row last summer no resets
    you can drive 11 every day then reset at some dump TS or drive every day for weeks managing your hours to always have some for the next day
    of course for me delivering to food warehouses I find a 3-4 hour day in there that i wasn't looking for that fixes my 70 inadvertantly

Pmracing Thanks this.
  8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Sure you can. Don't forget it's a rolling recap. As you gain hours you drop off hours so basically you are working with differences from the week prior. One has to look at the whole picture. You might even gain some hours if you are dropping off long days.

A good planner or dispatcher can keep up with a recap. You can always tell them after I deliver get me a short run or don't load me until tomorrow and gain time and not have to sit.

I stayed out 6-7 weeks and very rarely had to take a restart. You do that at home.

Then when I ran produce cross country I had no choice but to do a restart on both ends or end up sitting on perishable freight.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    What screws mine up is some week-ends I run real hard staying out and some I don't work at all. Some times i'll need hours for the week-end but the last week-end i didn't run.

For those of you who never reset and do the 8.75/day thing.....I can run 70 in 5.5 days and then take a 34 over the week-end. On the 7th day I can already start driving again. (over 70 hours per 7 days) If you run 8.75 you only run 61.24 in 7 days and get no brake. (just more daily time off) I manage my time fine, but i work hard. Obviously working more hours per week means more miles and more money.

dhooks and mje Thank this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Recap is simple. Add up the hours worked for the past 7 days. Subtract that number from 70 and that's how many hours are available to run on the 8th day.

If I didn't reset at home each week I think I would still prefer to run hard and do a reset each week. Averaging 8.75 a day seems like way too much time in truck stops.

In most cases though I would guess the company and dispatch will determine which way you do it.

Richter Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Yes , DOT checks e-logs . Drivers are required to carry an instruction sheet for enforcement officers . Not being able to produce it or not knowing how to show logs from past 7 days will get you put OOS .
    Most of the time during inspections the officers will just look at the main screen which will show time used and available on your 14 , 11 , and 70 .
    I've had Canadian officers take an hour and a half doing a Level 2 checking the past 14 days on my e-logs .
    Note the violations related to on board recording device . http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Data/BASICs.aspx?enc=pm9iYhlA51///nHxb1sU8g==

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.