Can u carry a diesel can with diesel in it in the cargo compartment? And is their a limit it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ExclusiveLogistics, Apr 8, 2018.

1. ExclusiveLogistics

ExclusiveLogistics Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Last night I ran out of diesel I was short about 15 miles to the next truck stop and I was wondering if u can carry diesel in a can and carry it in the cargo compartment?
    I was thinking about buying like a 5 gallon can or 2 smaller ones but I wanted to ask before I do
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    With newer engines and the close tolerance in the fuel pump-fuel delivery, running out of fuel is not just inconvient, but could do $10s of thousands of damage. At least that's what I've been told.

Oxbow, stwik and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. ExclusiveLogistics

Jul 18, 2017
    I know i didnt completly run out i stoped the truck and turned it off b4 the fuel pump started to suck air I had maybe 1gallon in there I have a 2011 Volvo and it tells me in the dash the amount of gallons in the tank so that's why I wanted to know if u can carry diesel in a can and carry it in the cargo compartment?

5. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Simple fix for this issue, buy fuel before you run out, or are you just trying to troll us.

Tug Toy, nax, Rollr4872 and 10 others Thank this.
  6. fatmike02

fatmike02 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    There is no law against carrying a fuel can in your cargo area

ExclusiveLogistics Thanks this.
  7. ExclusiveLogistics

Jul 18, 2017
    I have taken off with the same amount of fuel and I have made it before with no issues so that's why I thought I was going to be good my plan was to buy fuel at the truck stop that was 16miles away I guess I was not taking into account the wind

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Reason for edit: Miss spell
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The only problem is if the trailer is sealed.

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    No law against it. Unless you're carrying an insane amount requiring Haz-mat.

I actually do the same. We run local and fuel at the same place daily. Sometimes our runs max out our fuel capacity, and making it back to the fuel pump is questionable. So I carry 5 gallons extra. I do have a company credit card, but haven't used it in a long time

10. ExclusiveLogistics

Jul 18, 2017
    We haul containers from the port so sometimes it is sealed and sometimes it's an empty to get loaded but why would the sealed trailer be an issue?

11. ExclusiveLogistics

Jul 18, 2017
    Thanks yea I do have my Hazmat and I did a little research but couldn't find anything in regards to a diesel can but I'm going to do the same and carry a 5gallon diesel Can
    thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.