Can we drive with ear buds/headphones on?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by will7370, Jul 23, 2009.

1. will7370

will7370 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Is it legal to drive commerically while wearing ear buds/headphones? The reason I ask, is what if you're a team driver and you like to listen to Hank Williams, while your partner wants to listen to Nas-T or some other crap??? How do you coordinate his need for sleep with your wanting to listen to something? How can your buddy sleep if you have Hank turned up and vice versa?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vitointn

Vitointn Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    The quick common sense answer is NO if BOTH EARS are covered - cause you wouldn't be able to hear an emergency vehicles or shouted warnings/horns/etc.

I'd guess having one ear free - like with a handsfree phone/Bluetooth device would be OK.

4. truckerwannab

truckerwannab Light Load Member

May 4, 2009
    Gainesville Florida
    That is so funny you asked that question...my husband and I will be team driving soon and I love to listen to music while driving. I wondered if it would keep him awake and if I could have one earbud from my ipod in so I could hear the music. He likes talk radio (yuck) and I love music...we will have to take turns.

Danny N Angel Thanks this.
  5. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    it is illegal to drive with headphones/earbuds b/c you cant hear sirens etc...
    but how is it that deaf people are allowed to drive cars???

hagarcobra and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. Vitointn

Vitointn Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    Maybe they have their service animal listening for them?

A blind man walks into a WalMart with his service dog. Suddenly he stops and starts swinging the dog around over his head.

The Greeter rushes over and asks him if everything is alright.

He says, "I'm just having a look around".:biggrin_2551:

7. simplyred1962

simplyred1962 Betty Boop, One Bodacious Babe!!!

There are speakers in the cab, AND in the sleeper berth. As long as the music isn't blasting at ear-splitting decibels, the one in the back shouldn't be disturbed.

(Hubby listens to talk radio CONSTANTLY....I just go to the back, turn off the speakers, and play on my computer, read, etc.)

Judi Kay

starmac and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  8. Darkschneidr

Darkschneidr Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    OK, so I actually tested this since that is the claim (that you can't hear sirens). Guess what... I heard the engine and the sirens even with headphones on, lol. I have no idea where they get that info, or maybe I have Superman hearing, but in any case it's not accurate. (no, I wasn't driving when I did the test)

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In the few states I have looked at the laws there is no distinction between cars and CMVs with regard to headphones, etc. You generally cannot put an earbud or speakers on both ears, but one ear is OK.

BTW, let's pretend this is hypothetical for a moment, A hypothetical drivers can actually hear sirens BETTER if he wears a pair of noise-reducing earplugs commonly used in industrial settings. The same hypothetical driver has noticed that wearing these foam ear plugs makes it easier to hear the radio, CB, and coherent outside nouise such as car horns and emergency sirens. The hypothetical drivers notices he can set the volume on the truck stereo one or two untis less when wearing the ear plugs. The most dramatic difference is when driving in the rain. Most drivers have probably had to turn up the volume on the radio in heavy rain. The ear plugs block out virtually all wind and rain noise.

That hypothetical driver strongly recommends taking those ear plugs out of your ears when crossing the scales or when in view of police, just in case they have a differing opinion about use of noise reducing ear plugs.

The interior of a truck is well above the noise limit for prolonged exposure and long duration exposure to the loudness of a truck will cause permanent hearing damage, yes, even a Volvo like the one driven by the hypothetical driver.

The simple guidline to judge if an environment is loud enough to damage your hearing is if you need to raise your voice to be heard in that environment. I promise you can turn off the truck and speak normally to someone in the cab. Start the engine and you may or may not have to raise your voice a little to have a conversation. Put it in gear and going down the road you will absolutely have to speak up quite a bit to have a conversation. Hearign damage is a little like sunburn. You can get it from one big dose in a short period or you can get it from long exposure to a lesser amount.

The fact is so many truck drivers have significant hearing damage and they send so much time alone the hearing damage doesn't seem out of place or as noticeable as for other jobs.

The hypothetical driver highly recommends the AOSafety Sleep/Rest ear plugs because of their very high noise reduction rating but mostly their comfort for wearing over many hours. Most commonly available foam ear plugs have a rough texture and will feel like hot ice picks after wearing them for one hour, let alone all day.

10. Darkschneidr

Darkschneidr Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    lol, I love this post.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Hearing is a sense. I like to hear things that could keep me out of trouble. I do notice fire engines running code 3 to a rescue and the driver is wearing headphones usually. Kinda weird.....:yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.