Can you become a trainer with a dog in the truck?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by BigNugget, Jul 10, 2017.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    All dogs stink, you're used to the smell and don't notice it, but it's there and it's awful.

If you want to be a trainer and teach new drivers to drive, then get rid of the dog.

If you want to train just for the extra money, then get rid of the dog.

Plus, did you step in something just before you thought of your user name?
    Clean up after your pet.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigNugget

BigNugget Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2017
    This wasn't a question of if it's a good idea or not. I know my dog. The question was if I CAN. Like if companies allow it.

4. BigNugget

BigNugget Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I didn't even notice it when I first got him. He's short haired and gets groomed regularly. People smell too. And getting rid of him to train doesnt sit morally right with me.

mitrucker Thanks this.
  5. BigNugget

BigNugget Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Given that he's a small breed and has never so much as shown aggression, this isn't a scenario for my dog. I don't know very many classrooms where you can smoke and listen to the radio.

6. BigNugget

BigNugget Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Lol thanks for your input.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ask your company driver manager then. Many have a pet policy. Sometimes at a small cost per week for a waiver or other paperwork to protect their interest and yours.

I think you are going to try to do whatever pleases you dog or not train or not regardless of our opinions. So Im finished here.

8. BigNugget

BigNugget Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Considering I wasn't asking for opinions then yeah. I know the pet policy in regards to having one. I've done all that. Just didn't know what the correlation was when it came to training

9. BigNugget

BigNugget Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Oh and the user name is a nick name my husband calls me. He calls my kids little nuggets. And im taller than him so he calls me big nugget lmao.
    My user name is a nick name my husband calls me. He calls my kids little nugget lmao

tucker Thanks this.
  10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The answer is NO. Its bad enough the trainee has to deal with a stinky slob of a trainer for weeks, sure and the hell don't need to throw his mut into the mix. Just think student is practising backing while trainer is out directing him, the mut gets antsy and starts jumping all around the truck diverting the students attention causing him to hit something... That's one of many possibilities of what can go wrong in an already stressful situation...

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If all you wanted to know is if your company allows it, then you should be asking your company.

Asking a general question of do trucking companies allow trainers to have pets you're going to get opinions.

When you're training your safety comes first, then the trainees needs, then dispatches desires. Most companies pay trainers a set amount per day above their mileage rate to compensate for the lost miles and time spent training. If you become a trainer, then that is your primary focus. You make adjustments to your lifestyle to make sure the trainee is rested and ready to learn. If you're wanting to train for the money and aren't willing to adjust your lifestyle then I doubt you will be a successful trainer.

I also wouldn't put my dog with a new person every couple of weeks. How will you react when the trainee feeds your dog a PFJ jalapeno tornado or leaves his M&Me out? Or worse when the trainee leaves the door open and your dog hops out?

From a companies stand point how are they going to match you? It's an extra wrinkle to work out in an already overly complex situation.

You'll notice that no one so far has said it's a good idea. When a bunch of truckers all agree something is a bad idea, it's usually a really bad idea.

x1Heavy, 91B20H8 and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.