Can you deliberately arrange for a layover?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by truckertobe, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    It's thanks to trucking that I got to see the Las Vegas strip, and win a $4500 jackpot. I planned a 34 hr restart there while under a load to the LA area. I also spent a night in Atlantic City. Wasn't nearly as luck there...only won $400.

Most companies don't care what you do while your delivering a load, just as long as it gets there when it's supposed to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crazymama

crazymama <strong>The Gardener</strong>

Jul 14, 2007
    Kansas City Missouri
    Your funny,.. You only won 400 dollars :)

I know what you mean though. I won 5000 dollars on a scratch off in 1987. I've been so afraid I would lose all that money back that I've gambled almost nil since. I have won little pots of 300, 150, 50 etc. But I have only lost 100 dollars a couple of times. I never buy scratch offs anymore. I figure I had my day in the sun.

Suzi

4. CJH1977

CJH1977 Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Monmouth, Maine
    Just a question. If i am dispatched on a load and it doesn't deliver for 3 days and it only takes 1 1/2 days to do it, I take a 34 hr restart in a area that i would like to go look around. I park the truck at a truckstop and decide to go look around while just sitting. Can i drop the trl and bobtail around the area for sight seeing or does the truck have to sit at the truckstop and not move for the 34hr restart? Does it depend on the company? What if i get stopped by DOT while on a 34 hr restart and logbook says i'm on a 34 hr restart but i'm out bobtailing and sightseeing? Will i get a fine?

5. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    This is too weird...There seem to be lots of us out there...I am a CPA, college educated guy (undergrad and grad degrees), totally bored with my work life...really feeling the need to get away. I have been seriously contemplating a change to the OTR lifestyle. One son's heading to college and another heading to high school (so dad's not the coolest guy around these days) and mom, well mom's okay with pretty much what I want to do.

My biggest dilemma and this is not to sound derogatory, is the fact that a new OTR guy (or gal) can't make the kind of money I need to make. I need about $60k to keep the family from feeling the effects of my professional dissatisfaction but $60k seems to be toward the upper end of the range for OTR drivers (at least co drivers). I am still putting the numbers to a plan to try and determine how much an O/O should be able to net with a good business plan.

I would love to hear from O/O's regarding the return on investment one should expect from a one truck operation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.