Can you drive tractor with class b

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ucwjeff, Aug 1, 2008.

1. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    Air brake endorsement?No such thing.Air brakes is just part of the knowledge test when taking the the test for your CDL.However,after passing the written test and you then take your driving test(road test)your vehicle must be equipped with airbrakes to show no restrictions on your CDL.If you only wish to have a CDL B with hydraulic brakes then your license will show a restriction.If you are operating a farm,remember,there are many exemptions for farm use if you are operating within 150 miles of the farm.Federal law states this and state law may be more lenient depending on what state you live.Check out your states law on farm operations.You may be exempt from some of the CDL and vehicle requirements.If you do own a large cattle farm,feel free to send me a large sirloin steak.Just kidding.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Air brakes is a separate knowledge test when getting your CDL, at least here in Michigan. It may not be an endorsement, but it sure is a restriction.

4. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I guess my statement was kinda 'misstated'. From my reading and understanding, if you get your Class B CDL, you are good to go, UNLESS there is an airbrake restriction on there, which would be from not passing that portion of the knowledge test or doing your test in a truck without airbrakes. At least over this way, and I would think it would be the same for all 50 states because CDL is a federal thing, there is no endorsement for airbrakes, only restrictions.

5. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    Even with the class B license, you still need to take the air brake test to drive a class b truck with air brakes. Air brake is a restriction, not an endorcement. Massachusetts used to require a class 1 license to bobtail a tractor before we went to the CDL program, which was BS, but I never heard of any other state that required that.

RickG Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Air brake is an endorsement. You only need that with a "B" license or lower. With Class "A" you don't get the endorsement separately because it's already covered when you take the written test.

And yes, you can bobtail with a "B" license. You need the air brake endorsement though.

7. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    That's not the way it is in Michigan, at least according to our SOS website. I basically see the endorsements the same way I see restrictions anyway. Not having the restriction would be the equivalent of having the endorsement.

8. lobshot

lobshot Sharpshooter

Dec 30, 2006
    I have a class B here in Tennessee and it is not an endorsement here anymore, but it used to be. It is now just part of the class B.

9. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    You can still have a Class A CDL with an air brake restriction, just the same as taking the class A test with a dump truck and tag along trailer, They mark your CDL as "Class A Not Tractor Trailer."

RickG Thanks this.
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I know several hotshotters with Class A CDLs with air brake restrictions . They have medium duty trucks without air brakes but GVWR over 26,000 lbs .

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Glad you posted that . I'm originally from MA and remember that also . MA & CT were also the last states to allow 48' and 53' trailers . For a while in MA 48's required a permit and you could only have 1 stop on a trailer . I worked for a company that had a driver's load checked by a state trooper . He had made one stop and had another still on the truck . The trooper cited him and make him bring the trailer back to the warehouse .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.