Can you haul Crude Oil on a Vacuum Trailer?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by daf, Dec 13, 2012.

1. daf

daf Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Ks
    Can water haulers load crude oil or chemicals on water vacuum trailers legally?

What if it's in small amounts like 5 BBLs mixed with production water?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Most chemicals are hauled in plastic cages and mixed in tankers similar to but different than water. Most have couple of hatches together in middle. TriCans are lined with something. Marked for HazMat etc. At least of frac jobs. Not sure how much oil is in waste water. I think it is picked up separately but could be wrong. And oil tankers are totally different.

4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Sure they can, just mark the truck BRINE WATER. :biggrin_2559:

5. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Good question. There is no way of knowing the amounts of the chemicals in produced water, without actually testing it, which doesent happen. Everything up here is either fresh water or brine water. There is a guy here from PA that hauls or used to haul water to frac sites. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in.

6. eddy87

eddy87 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2012
    my dad and brother both drive vac trucks and there is always oil mixed in with the water there permits allow them to haul most any thing they can suck up into the trailer and where i live the companies that have vac trucks make all the drivers have hazmat so they can haul chemicals and such they have even went and loaded crude oil when the crude trucks were tied up somewhere else so i would say if they have the right permits they could haul it

7. daf

daf Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Ks
    wouldn't the crude oil fumes blow out by the front of the vac truck? Couldn't that cause a fire? How about chemicals blowing out by the cab of the truck when you are pulling a load?

8. eddy87

eddy87 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2012
    I am not sure about that I think they have some kind of vapor recovery system on it or they pull from the bottom of the tanks so gravity does some of the work and they pull a vaccum on the trailer and turn the pump off but I know they havent blown anything up yet but I will ask

9. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    **Smacks forehead**....

If you're a professional with a Haz-Mat CDL, Haz-Mat carrier authority, and a 5 million dollar PLPD insurance policy you probably already know about 49CFR 172.101 that tells you as long as the HM doesnt exceed 10% of the overall bulk liquid then no placards are required.

If you dont have all those things I mentioned then you probably dont want to get caught with 11% oil in that water 'cause thats a hefty ticket, CSA, and if you hurt someone its criminal negligence.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  10. eddy87

eddy87 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2012
    ok I asked my dad about this and the trucks have this thing called a VOC scubber that cleans the air coming out of the tank and returns the vapors back into the tank and the clean air back to the atmosphere if that makes any sense there trucks have placards and all the insurance and stuff to carry it leagally

11. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, any HM transporter knows the RQ amounts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.