Can you "saltie" guys explain this fee

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Buster, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bowmeyer1

bowmeyer1 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    man i love this stuff.......funny as *&#@maybe we should give the cat the spam and eggs lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    I can see why this industry has gone down hill. Even though it's just a dollar the point is charging. What will they start to charge their drivers for next? Let's see qualcomm' a/c , logbooks,etc.

4. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Yep, but when you consider that the ratio of steering wheel holders to drivers has been steadily increasing, it's no wonder so many don't realize they are paying for the opportunity to drive for these outfits.

5. bangngears

bangngears Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    metamora, Ohio
    well there are all sorts of ways to look at it. The drive does not have to get the ezpass prepass but for 4 dollars a month i will get it because i dont shell out money and have to wait 2 weeks to get it and i am sure to make up that 4 dollars on time waiting in line to pay the toll or the free pass i get at the scales. I guess if you are a driver making 24cpm it hurts but hey if you make a grand a week what the hell is 4 dollars a month. It is not a charge to work for the company it is a small fee to make you life easier.

6. Hyper

Hyper Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Gears... that is a great picture, where is it from? Kind of looks like Turnagain Arm which is South of Anchorage, Alaska. Very nice!

7. Buster

Buster Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Kingston NY
    Well I started this post so I guess it's time to respond. Although I think it's bull$%&# that I have to pay for this stuff and I never had to as a straight truck driver, for the $4 bucks a month I'll go for it. I dont feel like laying out the money for tolls not to mention I sont even know if I'll have it. Been out of work since Sept 2nd. I guess it is what it is.

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Well, you shouldn't feel alone. There are many in this forum that pay for other things. Trip packs, log books, fuel used while idling, out of route miles, and washing their trucks. They know who they are, and who they drive for. But they won't say squat until they lose their job.

In the overall picture, $4 isn't a lot. I figure by summer, the majority of companies will be stealing from the majority of drivers.

But not this driver.

9. bangngears

bangngears Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    metamora, Ohio
    well i dont have to pay for much just the ez-pass/pre-pass and it is woth the 5 bucks for the drive by on the scale house and to keep moving at the tolls i am sure it will balance out. I am happy to have a good job and be making money in these tough times.

10. Dr. Venture

Dr. Venture Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    I gladly pay $1 a week for EZ-Pass/Pre-Pass. I look at it as a convenience fee. It saves me from withdrawing and using my own money, then waiting to get reimbursed. Plus, it keeps me out of scales for the most part.

You will get the deposits back if you turn your equipment back in. I turned everything back in when I left and recieved everything I was owed in my last check.

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    While I know that this is the logical way to look at this, it still does not seem right that the company is making the driver pay for it. Yes, it does benefit the driver. But it benefits the company as well. It's just another way of getting the driver to fork over some of his hard earned pay.

This may or may not work, depending on the company. My first OTR job, the company (which has not been in business now for several years,) forced all drivers to buy two load locks, at a cost of $ 25.00 each. They said they would buy the load locks back, upon a driver turning them in at the end of their employment. When I left the company, they refused to buy the load locks back. The load locks were still in very good condition.

This was back in 1996, (I think,) and load locks did NOT cost $25.00 on the open market. But I was a greenhorn right out of school. . .:biggrin_2552:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.