Can you stand on the top of a dry van?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midnightrider909, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Walmart sells a Skil, is that the same?
    :confused:

86scotty Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no, Skil is a different brand...stihl is yet a really good product, and so is Skil.....

STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chainsaws | STIHL USA

Skil Tools

personally, i'd prefer buying those tools at either home depot, Lowe's, or directly from a dealer.

with each retail outlet, there WILL NE differences in quality and country where these are made. the dealers sell USA made products... lowes/home depot ...may...i say may...sell products with these name brands made in china or some other country....

4. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    Billboards have taught me that only lawyers can stand on top of trucks.

mjd4277 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I saw a movie once where they landed a helicopter on one. :)

6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    A pole saw should work.

DougA Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK

I spent a few years in tree service, nowadays that's known as an "arborist". We made really good money cleaning up after home owners that screwed up trying to do it themselves. The best example was the owner of a multi million dollar home in Seattle, who thought it was a good idea to take down a 200' tall Douglas Fir with a trunk 6' in diameter. He tried to fall the tree by tying a rope 50' up the trunk, tie the rope to his pickup truck, then try to fall the tree by having his friend gun the pickup while he cut the base. The tree went sideways into the house, knocking it two feet off the foundation, and flung the pickup into what remained of the living room. That was a three day job. We were paid really well.

DougA Thanks this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Stihl all the way. BUT no matter what brand you buy, plan on sharpening the teeth at least once for every hour or two of use. When I worked as an arborist, we would take 15-30 minute breaks to sharpen the teeth, especially if we were working on Madrona's or other really hard wood. A sharp set of blades on the chain makes a big difference between working hard and working smart (and safe).

Midnightrider909 and DougA Thank this.
  9. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    That #### is a lot thinner and weaker than you think. Take the advice of not doing it or laying some wood to spread the weight. And have a good plan or getting down .I got laughed at for atleadt a minute dangling my ###### off the side asking am I above the ladder ...fun times.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. bigbyrc

bigbyrc Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    YEAH BRO!!!
    That's how they check out & fix the tops of them, the trailer Mechanics!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.