Can you swap a engine legally?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Swift09, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Harrison built for years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Guy I know in KS bought one from Elkhorn trucks in NE. They couldn’t even tell him exact mileage on the engine. It last about 2 months after he bought it, then they acted like they were doing him a favor by going 50/50 on an overhaul. I’ll take my chances on a new truck with an emission motor any day of the week before I pay the dumb prices that gliders are bringing now.

??? Thanks this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    A properly built glider will have a factory reman engine from cat , Cummins, or detroit with full 3 year warranty. Everything on these engines is new or remaned. Nothing used in a proper glider build. Every bit as good as a new truck in my opinion, actually better! I should know as I own 2 gliders myself. They get worked every day and haven't been back to a shop for anything major but oil changes. Going on 8 years now.

RubyEagle, nikmirbre, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I loved the 2017 KW glider I drove for a year and a half. Overhauled 6NZ, all the bells and whistles. But it also wasn’t my money that paid for it. It was in the $170k range when it was all said and done. For me personally if I’m paying new truck price then I prefer a new truck.

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I had already 3 inspection and no one ever gave me hard time . My truck is 2010 , installed cat c16 instead of Cummins

MartinFromBC and benny906 Thank this.
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Made 130k miles on my glider without a flaw !
    ...even though i started with a truck with blown engine and over 700k miles...
    Only thing left is paintwork but i care least about cosmetic appearance of truck . Its sure thing to own nice shiny truck but to each their own

8. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    D&B in ky. Got new 2020 gliders for sale

9. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    Some western stars out there but hard to find. Guy runs 7 or 8 Coronado gliders in his fleet around here. No major problems in 6 or 7 years.

10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Yes, I am aware there are gliders for sale. I’m still not interested in one for the prices they bring. I won’t buy one because I prefer a new truck.

11. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Oh please..........
    And I've seen brand new engines with issues also. It happens to all of them sometimes. In both cases warrenty would cover it anyway. This is why you go factory reman over some small town hick builder. Do it right the first time and chances are you won't have any issues for years and years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.