Can you take Cdla test with dually and trailer?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 2ndAct, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Gary1

Gary1 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am doing the same thing. Why would you want an air brake endorsement if your not going to need it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Because if you ever do need it you will have to start over from the beginning. Basically it's an insurance thing that allows one to get more jobs if the non-air brake jobs fails.

4. PASSA

PASSA Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2018
    I'm in NY and we are having a discussion on another board about CDL class B towing a construction trailer. I know a Guy that has a 30 ton equipment trailer pinto hook up air brakes. He is is pulling this trailer with a JD 690 excavator and a IHC 2674 tri axle. The Driver told me he had a class B cdl with trailer, When I go to the NYS DMV they claim you can not haul trailer over 26K lbs. I'm sure that 30 ton trailer and JD 690 is over that. Assuming this Fella is correct about CDL class B with trailer how would I obtain the trailer part.

My Class B is only good for straight truck and air brakes. These other threads been going on all morning I would just like to settle it. The links provided are confusing. Thanks

5. Gary1

Gary1 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We aren't talking about class b. You can get a class A CDL with restrictions in a dually.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's good to have anyway. After all it is a class A CDL.

Most Class A vehicles have airbrakes. Liquid brakes boil or burn off at the temperatures we brake at downgrade in the big boys.

8. Gary1

Gary1 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Have absolutely 0 need for an 18 wheeler with air brakes.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I understand that. But get it anyway.

You might find yourself at a rental place and they eyeball that CDL years in the future and hand you keys to a airbrake truck. My local rental place actually handed me a box truck with airbrakes that actually failed the trailer protection (Pintle hook) and alarm test plus failed to build past 70 PSI pressure. That was a loss of two days on my part getting the rental people to dig up a replacement.

The more you have on your CDL, the more flexibility you have. You might have ZERO need now. But if you have it on there and not restricted, something may come up in the future someday that there you are, shes a airbraker. You are good to go.

Gary1 Thanks this.
  10. Gary1

Gary1 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Makes sense.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im not your enemy or opponet or trolling.

I have a habit of trying to solve problems before they come up.

It's your license. Go and be happy and I will celebrate with you when you get it with or without airbraking. But if you do, I encourage you to take a shot at it anyhow. It's just something that might help someday.

Take it easy, enjoy weekend.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.