Can you use ELD on a glider kit truck?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Cobrawastaken, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Actually the purpose of a glider was to reuse components in case of a wrecked truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Thank you for this information. I wasn't sure if anyone even used 2000 or newer engines for glider kits, but I guess gliders are mainly to get around emissions and not necessarily ELD.

4. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Whatever the original purpose, for me it's to not have to deal with exhaust after treatment BS but still have a new truck. A lot of carriers require newer trucks to lease on to them, or else I'd gladly just buy a fully restored pre-emissions truck.

Bean Jr. and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Here is the guidance. Its all about model year, not the year of the casting like a lot think...

When does the pre-2000 model year exception apply?
    When a vehicle is registered, the model year should follow the criteria established by the National Administration (NHTSA). Generally, the model year is determined by reviewing the VIN on the vehicle registration. If the model year is pre-2000 based on the VIN, an ELD is not required.

However, there may be instances when the model year reflected on the vehicle registration is not the same as the engine model year, most commonly when a vehicle is rebuilt using a "glider kit" or when an engine is swapped from one vehicle to another. Vehicles with engines predating model year 2000 are also accepted and are not required to have an ELD, even if the VIN number reported on the registration indicates that the CMV is a later model year. While the driver is not required to possess documentation that confirms the vehicle engine model year, 49 CFR Part 379 Appendix A requires motor carriers to maintain all documentation on motor and engine changes at the principal place of business.

6. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    So I'm guessing if I were the owner of the truck I would have to keep that documentation myself.

Well, either way, it doesn't look like I'm going to get a glider anyways. I did some searching and I knew they'd probably be more expensive, but my God those engines must be cast from gold... I could get a Columbia or Cascadia glider if I wanted to but personally that's not my thing. Maybe some day, but not as my first truck. Would be nice to have reliability starting out, but I guess I will have to work my way up there.

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    But later guidance went on the engine model year, not the vehicle model year, and those are not necessarily the same thing.

8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    @ZVar is correct as always. If the truck has an ECM and a diagnostic port then it is very easy to hook up an AOBRD or ELD because you will likely have a 6-pin Gray colored diagnostic port down by your left knee. If it does, then easy-peasy. SOMETIMES when they build gliders I have seen them use the newer ECMs which may have a black 9-pin or even a green 9-pin diagnostic connector. So they key is checking what ECM they put in it and what connector. Then you can get the right cable with your AOBRD/ELD.

Secondly, the reason I keep saying AOBRD is because if it is truly an eligible pre 200 glider than you can legally use a modern ELD in "AOBRD Mode." Using that older mode is less strict and legally allows more "edits" and faster than 5 MPH trip point, etc.

Thirdly (as was also mentioned here) you can use one of the few remaining "ELog programs" that don't connect to the glider ECM at all if you want. Keep Truckin, or Eclipse Logbook, or a couple others on the app stores are still available.

And lastly, even if the truck has no ECM connector at all, you can put in some brands (like Omnitracs) by connecting a red power wire, a black ground wire, and an ignition sensing wire. Those let you do the logs manually with your finger on the touchscreen just like paper, but they still warn you of violations and they make the DOT guys happy because they feel like you are more in compliance than paper.

Bean Jr., Cobrawastaken and ZVar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.