Canada-Only OTR, New Driver?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Dye Guardian, Feb 15, 2015.

1. westernstarheavyhaul

westernstarheavyhaul Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2017
    i was hired at 20. now 26 pulling up to 11 axles

not4hire and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    Contrans did.

X31.jpg

X36.jpg

4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I started hauling steel for Koppers Int'l when I was 21. No experience, was asked if I could drive the truck.."hell ya" That was in the '70's when they had a plant here as well as Kitchener On.

5. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    aaronpeterbilt3787 Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    God you are negative

What's wrong with starting out at .42 as a new driver? If the company paid them top rate call it 0.55 or whatever it may be that would not be fair to those guys who have more experience and company seniority. So he starts at .42 and starts with the easy flatbed stuff and learns and works his way up slowly to the more complicated stuff.

For what it's worth I was hired at 19 for Canada only auto parts runs in daycab work. I lucked out. I made I think 18.50 or 18.75 I can't remember with overtime after either 44 or 50 don't recall exactly. That company has since grew in size and been sold to a larger company and it survived the downturn in auto in 2008 when the shtf.

DDlighttruck and orcen Thank this.
  7. Johnny R

Johnny R Light Load Member

May 25, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Man, first you don't believe, it's gotta be proven. Then when you see it's actually true, you pooh pooh it, without so much as acknowledging you were wrong. Ever smell a rose?

orcen Thanks this.
  8. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    lol.

I never said I believe.. Even Pro North or TransX wouldn't hire me when I was 20.. We tried to hire a kid who was 23 a few months back and insurance said no way.

9. Antler24

Antler24 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Alot of the comments are false. A company I once worked for had there own "training" program. Guys would show up fresh outta high school Thursday morning. Sunday evening they woukd road test and next morning they were handed keys to a new (ish) T800 grabbed a trailer from the yard, and hit the road.

Are most companies like that? No. Are most teenagers responsible enough? No. Reality is some companies can take that chance and some teens are responsible enough. Good luck to the OP if you want it bad enough you'll find it!

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  10. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    They likely had their own insurance company/policy, like Schneider and Swift I guess.

11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    That's their rate. .42 They are also trying to hire out of Toronto and all I see them pulling are trains. I don't agree with companies paying less to new drivers. Company can get away with paying 10% less during a 3 month probation period. You don't see those big wage spreads at a company in Canada based on experience, sometimes longevity will earn you more but not much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.