Canada..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mattflat362, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I searched as best I could....I need a one stop shop to get legal for Canada. I have always wanted to because I live on the border. I just don't have the time to research and do it all myself like I did for my US interstate authority.

I really really just want to pay someone that knows how to make it happen fast....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    First question.
    You ever been arrested or in trouble with the law? Wouldn't want to go do all that to find out you got caught smoking a joint 40 years ago which they will deny entry for.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Kla6gl-khx5wHHK0w&sig2=2U3riECZirYY3SbpgcDMqw

North Royalton class of '85 to Avon Lake.

Regards, fellow Buckeye.

:biggrin_25525:

5. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    A sealed juvenile record wouldn't effect this would it? Agravated assault as a juvenile now sealed for over 10 years

6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm not sure. I just know they are real strict on letting an American in, most offences I would say are so minor in nature they should just be forgotten about.
    @not4hire may have a better idea as to who to contact regarding determining your eligibility to enter Canada. You could try calling cbsa but like anything it's likely a big run around and they will probably tell you it's "up to officer discretion"... I know it's b.s.

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I've heard stuff like that...do they actively do a background check upon arrival at the border?
    Guy I know had a dui in a commercial vehicle (long story, but got convicted) goes to Canada (least he did 3 years ago when we had the discussion) he said he just tells them he's never been arrested (?)

Do they do a quickie check or what?

I've never been to Canada, n dont live close enough to want to start either. Just curious.

8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think they do it right at the booth. I know now that both countries share information with each other. Being Canadian, they can't turn me back to the usa no matter how much I berate them.

I know it has something to do with how crimes are viewed in our "criminal code" vs your laws. For example a dui in the usa is not a felony, but in Canada a dui does fall under the criminal code....our version of a felony. Then it's their decision to let you in or not. Going the other way, if I get a dui here, in the usa it isn't viewed as all that big of an offense and therefore the officer can't deny entry for that. It's kinda odd, our laws seem harsher but our penalties are much weaker. I don't know why they are such hard nosed about a lot of things. So what people screwed up a long time ago. Now they're just trying to earn a living...same as when we go to your country. Maybe they're just eternally angry they got rejected by the opp. (Ontario state(provincial) police)

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    There is a formal process for persons currently considered inadmissible due to prior bad acts. The information for this is available at "Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity". There is also information regarding juvenile convictions for those that were interested. If this applies to you; until you have completed the process it really is up to the CBSA officer's discretion whether you get in or not.

As far as DUIs causing individuals to be inadmissible; I'm not really sympathetic. Likewise though, the U.S. CBP is, or was, just as harsh on Canadians that had minor possession convictions for pot... we didn't see it as that big a deal. That may be changing in the U.S.. Or, perhaps it was until today. :D

Someone ;) wrote a really great summary for the actual business side of things, so I'll just copy it here (this is the thread it came from)...
    The only thing I had to add (at the time) was for U.S. drivers to know that in Canada you must have 14 past days logs with you, not 7. So, @mattvogelpohl, hopefully this gets thing rolling in the right direction. Just hollar if there's anything else you need. @gokiddogo and I have posted a lot on hauling into the U.S., so searching our posts may be fruitful.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Liquidforce, Ruthless and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    All there in the links provided above.

Canadian gov't links.

Even let you know what options you have if you do have a past.

Immigration info there, too, as he wasn't exactly clear as to situation.

(He's from a couple of communities over from where I was born & raised)

:biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.