Canadian looking to get into driving, will have lots of questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rock Sniffer, May 23, 2016.

1. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Fort mc Murray is finished there is a thing called supply and demand the Arabs have more than enough crude oil to keep the world going' and you have a tree hugger running your country who doesn't give a toss about anywhere west of Ontario so the tar oil might as well be left in the
    Ground .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    I don't want to burst your Bubble but if you think a company will send you straight to the states with a loaded trailer your mistaken you would be running Canada until you get experience and then you would be going down to the states with a driver .

4. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    That's not quite true. I had a couple days training in Canada doing local work, then got sent solo to the USA. I didn't even know how to put fuel in the truck. There are companies out there like that.

5. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Light speed out of Calgary

Rock Sniffer Thanks this.
  6. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Good for you!! I would say the biggest thing with a trainer is good communication. Both ways.

I may have missed it, do you want to run van or flat? Tanker?

Obviously I don't know the schools curriculum. I would strongly recommend asking for as much training time as possible on backing up, and trip planning. And, if they would show you how to throw chains in the summer time, in a warm dry parking lot, you'll have the cats pajamas.

With regards to backing, it's 5% of the job. But it's the hardest. And the last thing you need is to practise your backing in a truck stop, in the dark, after a long day, in between two trucks.

Good luck!

Rock Sniffer Thanks this.
  7. Rock Sniffer

Rock Sniffer Bobtail Member

May 23, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Honestly I wouldn't be picky on what I'd be pulling around, don't know enough to really prefer one way or the other. I do think I'd prefer to go on longer trips though. No kids, wife etc to worry about here. Fortunately while the course is designed around 14 hours of in cab work and 2 before hand in a simulator, then another 6 hour course on log books, I do have the benefit of an uncle who farms that I am sure I can talk into letting me spend a bit of time on his truck and trailer in return for sitting in the cab of one of his tractors to help out as well.

8. Rock Sniffer

Rock Sniffer Bobtail Member

May 23, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Oil is coming back but not at the rate I'd prefer, after all my last job was as a geologist for an environmental consulting company that paid me a bit over 100k per year. Unfortunately those jobs have dried up for the time being.

Who knows, maybe developing this skill could help me in the future should I decide I want to start a water well testing or servicing business. I could effectively do the job of two people!

stacks Thanks this.
  9. jess4040

jess4040 Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    It's been over a year since you posted this message, but just wondering how you did in the course and if you liked how they taught you? I too want to go to this school for class 1, just wondering what it was like.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.