Canadian Moved to Texas have never had a CDL... DMV says I can’t get my CLP. HELP.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by brandonjschmid, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandonjschmid

brandonjschmid Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Arlington, Texas
    I already have the Texas Class C license so I got past that point just need to lead the lamb if you will to the next step.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok IF you own a Class C License and wish to drive a CDL 18 wheeler A or any heavy trucks really, you will need to get a CDL Permit A and then go to school for learning. This will cost you thousands of dollars.

You will discover that Insurance is really tyrannical behind the throne and you will probably end up going to school to work on the learning for the class A. (I also include Class B etc, it's much easier to kill the thousand pound hog one time and wait a while. IT does not even know it's dead yet over yonder.

4. brandonjschmid

Mar 16, 2019
    Arlington, Texas
    I just have to get the CLP and the company I plan to work with is covering the rest, just need to get the CLP and pass all the endorsement tests etc.

I’m lucky that I’ll get the Class A for free and have their in-house guys do the driving test.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I encourage you to pace yourself and you will get it. All the endorsements with the USS Battleship HAZMAT in the room will be a bit tight. Having all of them is a good goal to have. I already assumed you have a passport, fast card etc.

Do not forget to take pictures of your little documents with cell phone camera, Some areas allow you to show a electronic version these days if you left your license at home. Good luck to you.

brandonjschmid Thanks this.
  6. brandonjschmid

Mar 16, 2019
    Arlington, Texas
    Glad you mentioned the Hazmat. It’s the only endorsement I cannot obtain as a “Non-domicile”. But yes I will obtain all others because why not.

Thanks man. Taker easy.

7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Zeviander may be of some help if you haven't solved this issue yet. Just putting that out there.

Dan.S, Zeviander and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Nope, lol. I'm a Canadian who has been to Texas, but never had to deal with getting a license outside of Manitoba.

DMV might need to see proof of residence or a work permit perhaps? But you will likely have to retest in order to qualify for a CDL.

9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Just go to different DMV until on pops for ya.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm clueless in Ohio.. better than sleepless in Seattle I reckon.. thanks, @Zeviander .. we tried.

Just passing by and Zeviander Thank this.
  11. brandonjschmid

Mar 16, 2019
    Arlington, Texas
    OK, I have gotten to the stage to take the CLP tests.

You CAN get a CLP in Texas that lasts 180 days, it CAN be renewed ONCE AT A MINIMUN OF 30 DAYS BEFORE THE ORIGINAL CLP EXPIRES for another 180 days IF YOU MISS THAT DEADLINE YOU ARE SOL, so in total you will have 1 year if you're on top of things to get driver training etc. This is for Canadian & Mexican Nationals with US visa's.

SIDE NOTE: Even with the dooms day event of the CLP expiring having the CLP for a year then doing the tests in your home country is well worth the 25$ fee that they charge you for it. Just get your medical and all the forms and pieces of ID you'll need and rock out.

The flip side is they were addiment that I can't get the full CDL but they'll hand me the CLP with NON Greencard status no problem.

So with all that said, A Canadian or Mexican National that is on a USA VISA WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION can get a CLP in Texas ONLY, if you have not had a CDL at ANYTIME in your home country. To be eligable for the FULL CDL you need a Greencard etc. I know with SLB they have the right to self test for the CDL and senD peple to DPS for the full licensing etc once they have passed the road test, so there may be a way around the no CDL for no Green Card holders of Canada and Mexico I have yet to find that out 100% But life goes on, i'll train my heart out and get my CDL in Canada if need be.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.