Canadian rules to get to Alaska

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Kersey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Kersey

Kersey Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I have called JJ Keller, Comdata, OOIDA and a couple of other "permitting companies" no one can answer a few questions.

I am running under my own authority and have a chance to do a load to Alaska. My questions are,

1) I have a 280" wheel base. What do I have to do to get a permit for my truck?

2) I have Canad on my IRP and registered with IFTA. I should not need any trip permits to my knowledge. Can someone confirm?

3) I do not have a Canadian Carrier Code yet. Do I have to apply for one passing through Canada?

4) beside the SK permits and the Alaskan plate are there any other fees associated with a trip to Alaska?

Thanks for the insight. After a couple of hours on the phone I feel I know less now than I did before.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    I do not know if the Yukon and NW Territories partipate in IRP or IFTA.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  5. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    British Columbia allows 7.2 meters,283 inches.
    Yukon is not Ifta,you buy a permit at the scale.I think it's $60 cad for the tractor and $10 for the trailer.
    Alaska is not Ifta either,$350 for a temp tractor license and $10 for the trailer.
    You can call the scale at Tok,they will give you the information.
    You will need an In transit bond for the freight going through Canada, don't drop anything off or pick anything up.
    You will need an Ace form to give to US customs entering Alaska and coming back into the states.Thats a US Customs form.Its only your Name,drivers license info ,truck and trailer info,pretty basic.
    I would call the scale in Yukon to verify,also call the scale in British Columbia,wherever you are going to enter.
    My info is not guaranteed.I went to Fairbanks from Houston last spring.

6. North Pole Nightmare

Dec 15, 2021
    Make sure you stop at Canada customs before you get to Alaska and get the In transit form stamped,so you can get your bond money returned.

7. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Be sure to stop at the scale at Watson Lake ,Yukon.

You go over the scale then pull to the side. Park, go in, get your Yukon permit, and proceed. You can get the permit for both ways at the same time if you know your load both ways.

That town is also the one with the "sign post forest", worth stopping for a picture if time permits.

I was ran up that way for a few years, was licenced with IFTA, federally registered Canadian carrier.

Call the provincial transportation departments and ask them what you need, they will tell you and you can get the permits directly without third party fees.

Alberta:
    Driving and transportation

Saskatchewan
    1-844-SK-HIWAY

BC
    Transportation Permitting - Province of British Columbia

8. North Pole Nightmare

Dec 15, 2021
    Make sure you clean the snow off your taillights before you pull into the Yukon scale,just sayin....

9. Kersey

Kersey Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2014

10. Kersey

Kersey Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    You know I just got more information in this one reply than i got in nearly 2 hours on the phone with JJ Keller, Comdata, OOIDA, etc.

This is greatly appreciated.

JohnBoy, REO6205, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  11. North Pole Nightmare

Dec 15, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.