Cant chose between jobs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Sounds good to me. The FedEx job will still be around if the local gig doesn't pan out.

Mr. EastCoast Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I’ve actually been thinking about trying that. The place I work would like me to buy another truck and hire a driver, but I think I would be better off buying a rent house than doing that.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Right, put your future first because we never know when we could develop some medical problem and not be able to pass a DOT physical. Rental property will always be an income, even if you lose your Med Card or CDL.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I was in the Navy, one of my friends managed to buy 5 rental houses in Jacksonville, FL. He was a low rank peon, like me. His goal was to have 20 rentals, then retire.
    Another friend in the Navy had 40 rental houses in Georgia. He was funny and drove ragged used cars and his civilian clothes were bare minimum and cheap. Great guy; really like him and respected him. His family, wife and children lived well and had a wonderful life lacking nothing.

Speed_Drums and OldeSkool Thank this.
  6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    To me that is really cool when somebody has money but they don’t flaunt it. They can have a nice place and all, but when you just see them in town they don’t have that rich guy attitude and all. Sounds like a great guy.

Speed_Drums and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you are considering long-term then I would say Fedex is probably more stable than an unknown local job. It's possible something like the time of day you work, which commute to/from work, etc will be the deciding factor.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    His wife had a nice car, but he drove an old used bread van that he painted white.
    It looked like this: I rode in it a couple of times, loud, noisy rattled like crazy, but he loved that old van.
    [​IMG]

OldeSkool and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Right, the two people I mentioned don't manage the rentals themselves, they turned that over to a management company. I'm small time, but do the same; don't want the headache, just the bank deposits each month.

10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    It is NEVER too late to start saving money for retirement. Just start putting $100.00 per week in a savings account. Do a bit of online research on different investment strategies. Not sure how old you are, but if you are in your 30's or even early 40's, you can grow a sizable amount of money by the time you hit 65.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  11. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Get out a note pad and write down the questions you want answered from both. Gross pay, Benifits, Benefit cost, deductible on insurance, vacation time and pay rate for vacation, etc... don’t ever jump into the fog.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.