Car Hauler Insurance rates.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by BH_Transport, Jul 1, 2012.

1. BH_Transport

BH_Transport Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Amarillo, TX
    I've been doing this with a 3 car wedge for over a year, but just moved up to a 6 car Kaufman, and a 95 Volvo WIA tractor. i was wondering what some of you guys out there with similar units are paying for Insurance, adn where do i find sombody besides Progressive that will go up to $250,000 on cargo. THX Brian in Texas:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Too many variables for anyone to give you an answer on rates. Location, radius, your history, new/old cars etc.

As far as companies other than Progressive. I am all about sending Flo to the unemployment line. Her & those commercials need to go away. ;) But Northland & Great West are the primary two companies who deal with auto carriers. There are a few more, but those are the two majors. As far as agents, look on Central for reputable carriers you have dealt with in your general area & see who their agent is.

I went with Cline Wood out of the KSC area this year, do not know if they cover TX or not.

4. rose88

rose88 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012

I am also with Progressive and in TN they will not go above 100,000 cargo so I am shopping around to find a different company that will. Some brokers require more cargo on a 3 car hauler as well.

5. BH_Transport

Jun 16, 2012
    Amarillo, TX
    Progressive went up to $1150 a month for my 6 car unit and my Volvo class 8 truck, is that about what you others are paying or not? I haul a mix of wrecked salvage units, newer used cars, adn a few brand new at times. I got a quote from another agent that was a lot cheeper per month ($850) but wanted nearly $3000 down to start...i dont have that!!!

6. rose88

rose88 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012
    1379.00/mo here with 2 trucks and a 3 car wedge!

99 F350 & 2000 Pete 379

7. BH_Transport

Jun 16, 2012
    Amarillo, TX
    Called my old agent in houston this week to see what they can do since my policy lapsed, due to being down for repairs, and found out this week that Progressive will now go up to $250,000 coverage on cargo.

8. rose88

rose88 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Will have to call and see? A few weeks ago in the state of TN they would only do 100,000 cargo?

thanks

9. BH_Transport

Jun 16, 2012
    Amarillo, TX
    IT may depend on how long you have been in business and your experience level too, i've had my cdl since 88 and my own transport company now for over a year, so that may make some difference too.

10. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Call Alexander and Alexander in KY, that's who handles my insurance. They handle many states.

Tell them Todd from Sho-Tyme sent you.

11. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Can definitely look into programs for car haulers for you guys as well. Northland was mentioned is a good one. We have access to a few carriers with this type program. Mainly want to see your experience ( loss runs, etc... ) before a rate is handed out. Have been getting good rates lately. Give Jeff a call. www.meridianinsures.com It is a specialty type agancy that knows the ins and outs of transportation insurance. Plenty of references.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.