Car Haulers Advice......

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sdelong, Feb 2, 2011.

1. sdelong

sdelong Bobtail Member

I have been contemplating trying to get into a specialized area of trucking. I currently have an offer driving for a percentage of the loads as a company driver for a car hauling company that is in my home town. The job is an OTR car hauling job for a a small company, the equipment is Pete's, paid training of $500 a week and the company is based out of the same town I live in. This job would defiantly double my salary and is asking 12 days out and 2 to 3 at home. Or you can stay out as long as you want? My driving experience is six months OTR flat-bedding for TMC and just over six months OTR driving dry van on a dedicated account for Schneider. If any of you car haulers are reading this post I could use some advice. What can I expect if I go into this direction as a car hauler? Thanks and Godbless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU6SWRWGrlk&feature=related

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yost69

Yost69 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Whats the percentage? Does it have a sleeper or are you staying in a motel every night? Whos buying the motel? How many cars do the trucks haul? Do they have any dedicated hauls? Will you get a dedicated haul? or are they all fly by night central loads?

I would ask to see a few loads from the last couple weeks, that way you can get an idea of what your pay is roughly gonna be. Most companies have a set rate that they will haul for and that is the rate they shoot for. There may be a car or so that goes below that rate if there is nothing else available but thats life sometimes.

Can you pass the background for a twic card? Your probably gonna need one.

How long has the company been around? If it is a fairly new company I would use caution as it may not be in business long. If it has been around awhile I would think it is safe to assume that they are probably not going anywhere for awhile.

Thats just a few off the top of my head.

As for what to expect. I would guess it is the same as anything else. They want to know where the cars are and when you plan on being at the drop off. Not much else to it. You load em so that they are not over 13' 6" strap em down tight, I think most are straps now instead of chains, and hit the road to the next pick up or drop off.

I would think you would make a significant amount more if you stay out instead of coming home every 2 weeks as they can give you loads to different areas that pay more instead of having to find you a load home every two weeks that may not pay as much.

Thats my two cents. Take it for what its worth.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I've heard of drivers searching for hours at auctions for their vehicles to load. And drivers trying to get into residential neighborhoods to load and drop off. That's when % pay sucks, right ?

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I spent 6 hours looking for one at the auction one night,...

I finally gave up and went to bed,.....

In the morning I had the auction people try to find it,...It wasn't there,..They had moved it to another storage lot a few miles away and it had not been properly recorded,...

By the time I got it loaded I should have already been done with delivering that load,..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.