Car haulers just sits on tracks and lets a Amtrak hit them

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by H3R3T1C, Oct 17, 2021.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    The driver should have been able to look at the hump and been able to judge that his trailer that almost scrapes on flat ground , and does scrape doing in and out of truck stop driveways , was never going to go over that hump .

and there should have been a sign warning of the hump
    Most of the teachers crossings in my town that have a hump , also have a sign warning of it .
    but as a driver of a speciality vehicle , the driver should have had the good judgement to see it and know he couldn’t get over it .

N00bLaLoosh, Bean Jr. and H3R3T1C Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Last week I was trying to remember why I dropped my trailer since I picked it up from the shop on August 17. I knew I dropped it because the landing gear wasn't cranked all the way up. It's still not.

I see these high crossings, and get nervous even though my gear is probably at least 18". How a guy who is driving a semi that is at some point around 6" off the ground would be so careless is beyond me!

Another thing, while we're talking about situational awareness, those posts on fb regarding "you may be a Trucker if you swing wide in your car, enter the scale in your car, etc." I've objected saying "you have to be aware at all times. Maybe you're pulling a 12'6" wagon, and can go under low bridges. Maybe you have a short trailer, and stay in the lane. You need to be aware of what you are doing." The only thing that I do in a car because I do it in a truck is watch the mirror when I go around a corner. But really, who said you shouldn't do it in a car too?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Drive it like it doesn't have brakes.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    To be fair i stay out 6 to 12 weeks at a time. When i get home i have caught myself more then once driving my ram like a semi truck. Once something becomes muscle memory its hard to shake the habit.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Looked like a high mount that tells me all I need to know..

7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Surprised No One mentioned:
    "GPS Directive"!
    Some Units, as have been declared in numerous Posts, when set to "shortest route" have offered shortest route: through residential neighborhoods (city & country settings), across under weighted bridges, "see-saw" (pivot point) R. R. crossings, NO TRUCKS routes, dirt roads, mountain trails, 4 wheel drive specific routes.

Famous (standard) Last Words in Trucking:
    MY GPS TOLD ME TO GO THIS WAY!!

To Thine Own Self Be True!

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Who drives a something like that over a hump that steep. And who thinks someone that does can just move after failing to do so?

WTF.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    20190706_160924.jpg

We had a switch on the dash to lift the hauler body a foot , uses airbags.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Looks like the driver got possibly nailed by the Texas Eagle. Thackerville is in the Red River Valley just west of I-35.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.