Car Haulers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 2, 2007.

1. NIGHTCRAWLER

NIGHTCRAWLER Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Most people say that they make they are the highest payed in the trucking industry. What are the pros and cons of being a car hauler?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    i know one pro and one con on this. pro: if you quit under load you have a new car to drive anywhere you want....con:those blue lights behind you is not santa claus.

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Most all places ANY damages to the cars will be your fault.

5. lightoftheworld

lightoftheworld Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2007
    What is the average pay for auto haulers?

6. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI

Sorry but that statement is not exactly correct....cars are to be inspected by the person that is going to load them on to his/her truck for delivery....at this preloading inspection any damage to the vechile is reported to the supervisor, the car is either not loaded or the damage is such that the dealer can take care of it and the driver is NOT held responsible.

Damage that occurs due to the employee loading a vehicle and causing damage is the employees fault, where my hubby works it is counted as points against your quarterly bonus *not a big deal*, damage that occurs due to vandalisim is not the drivers fault, this was checked and double checked as hubby parks at home often times with a load on and we didn't want to be held accountable if something should happen.

There are few cons to being a car hauler, hubby makes a decent wage (I no longer work) has decent insurance/benefits, gets holiday pay, paid vacations....his vacation pay last year for one week home was over 1,200.00 plus his pay check that week, uniforms are provided, trucks are well maintained, no waiting to make deliveries, loads ready to go at ports (or VERY short wait time to get load info) you dont have to kill yourself to make appointment times, after 21 years in the industry hubby loves this job.

I know some here think I dont know anything about the industry but I do and the company hubby drives for is REALLY that good, ask the other poster here rainman, he works for them too.

7. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI

That depends on if the company you work for pays by the mile or percentage....lets just say the first year hubby went to car hauling he doubled what he had made the previous year, I quit my job and now just stay home and play with all my dogs.....

it also depends on if you do local, regional or otr....

8. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I didn't say EVERY body blames the driver. But I've talked to enough car hauler drives during my time as a car hauler to know that plenty of companies blame the driver for every thing from the time the car hits the ramps on the trailer until it comes off.

9. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    WISEONE and I have never doubted your knowledge for one second!:)
    Keep up the GOOD work!

10. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Car hauling is good money. A very good friend of mine works for the same company that Luv's hubby works for. He made somewhere in the $60,000 range in 2006...his first full year with the company. I also worked for that company for a few months. It was good money, but a lot of work involved in loading and unloading. As Luv stated, you don't have to run nearly as hard as you do when hauling freight. My friend is now in one of the newest trucks the company has in its fleet (of the 8 car trucks anyway) and anytime he's had a problem (I can only recall 2 break downs of his), they've gotten it fixed.

My reason for not sticking it out with the company was not because it was a bad one, just because freight hauling has made me somewhat lazy, and I like having more than a 36" sleeper.

11. DanJ

DanJ Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    My step-dad has been working for Allied (and it's Canadian predecessor) for almost 25 years. He has been a broker for them for the last 17 or so. He has done very well for himself as a broker, but they are phasing them out. So far the company appears to be allowing those that were brokers when Allied bought Auto Haulaway to stay on, but that probably has as much to do with Allied being in Chapter 11 and can't afford to buy their own trucks now anyway.

Anyway, he makes around $5500-6000/week between the truck and himself. The truck makes money when he's not using it, since a company driver uses it, and is paid by the company. He does well enough that my mother, who used to work for the same company I do, quit 15 years ago from a $35k (at the time) job, and they own 3 properties as well as a trailer at a campground. Maybe this is why Allied is bankrupt LOL.

The downside is it's not easy work. I can't count the number of times he had a tie down bar snap back at him. He's had both arms operated on due to the strain of tying the cars down. He has a bad hip now from a couple falls off the trailer. I went with him several times when I was in high school. Once I went to help him after he hurt his arm. They were very busy and his boss told him they would pay me to go with him and tie the cars down. I was a 6'5 200 pound 18 year old and I couldn't beleive how hard it was to ratchet those things down properly.

I had thought of going into that line of work, but there was just no way I could get out of a car that was on the bottom deck, and I was too nervous about the top deck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.