Car Haulers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 2, 2007.

1. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Sales for Detroit's Big Three automakers were down 8%, while overall vehicle sales dropped 2.5% in 2006. This has led to a bidding war as auto haulers try to gain business with more stable auto manufacturers such as Toyota, Honda and Nissan. Only the strongest auto carriers will survive. 15% to 20% of the segment may die off in the next 12 months. This is a challenged industry with 50% of its capacity in bankruptcy. Help in the form of higher rates will not come until domestic manufacturers start making money. This info is summarized from Transport Topics issue of 12/18/06.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    glad my hubby doesnt haul for the big 3!:smt038

4. justhauling

justhauling Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Florida
    There are some good jobs in the industry like the other posters talked about. But don't think it's a walk in the park. It depends on who you work for and what you haul. Sounds like the other posters hauls mostly new cars. If you haul for dealerships and wholesalers who do auction work, personally owned vehicles, etc, it can be a different experience. Lately I do mostly dealership and auction work. I'll try to give you some examples.

The pros: --It is of course mainly money. But that good money comes in only when there is work to do. If its slow, it is SLOW. This biz seems to be either so busy you have to give cars away to other transporters, or so slow it can put you out of business. You have to manage money good in this business.
    -- You get to test drive every car you can imagine. The downside is, after awhile, a car is a car to you. lol

The cons: I will try to list some things that others didn't. I'm not putting down anybody's posts, just trying to let you see some stuff we deal with.

--Dealerships pay every 30-45 days. You do a full months work, then bill them on the 1st of the next month, then they send you a check two weeks later. There are some COD work but most down here pay this way.
    -- Auctions. If you don't get cars to the auction in time for the sale, some people won't pay cause the cars missed the sale. Auctions have thousands of cars inside and you are to find the ones you need to pull out. Sometimes they are where they are supposed to be, sometimes not. You can walk a mile easily looking for cars in big auctions. Nevermind spending 3 hours to find one car, then finding out that car had already been pulled out of the auction by the dealer, another transporter, whoever. Having a car that doesn't run and it's past the time the auction's tow truck driver went home.
    --Picking cars up at dealerships. This sometimes is bad when you go to get your cars but the salesmen is trying to sell them to a customer, so of course they don't give you the car. A lot of Salesmen think they are better than a transporter too and will act that way towards you.
    --Open car haulers, you have to especially pay attention to low trees/low lights/low anything, as it will take out car windows, roofs,etc. Not a pretty sight.
    --Car antennas, hoods, trunks, etc You have to make sure everything is secured properly or you might have some damage done. You can't haul a truck with a bedliner backwards, or it will blow out. I'm sure you've seen some laying on the side of the road.
    --Low clearance cars have to make sure they don't bottom out. Had a small piece of plastic break off the bottom of a porsche once. Cost $900.
    --Cars, suvs with air bag suspension, you have to turn the air bags off or you can damage the whole system. Quite expensive.
    --If you don't like touching freight, haul something else.

Wow. Hope I didn't write too much. lol Anyway, you can make a lot of money when the work is there, but there's a lot involved. Good luck.

5. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Pros: As long as you can hustle, money is great. January alone I have made over $7000.00 as a company driver. Damages only count against your bonus. My truck gets more attention than a wish it would. I call in something small that I just can't fix myself but doesn't affect the overall operation of the truck and I'm getting called to take it to a local shop to get it fixed. The company takes care of it's equipment.

Cons: Working in the elements. It can be difficult to load when it's raining, sleeting, snowing, with the wind blowing around. You can't take a break until the weather breaks to finish loading when there are 10 drivers waiting to get in the yard to load. With the exception of BMW in Greer,SC, all loading is done outside. Slow periods, I got the call yesterday that I'm going to be home for a while. I don't know if it will be just a couple of days or longer. Save it when you make it I guess.

I love hauling cars! The best driving job I have ever had. It may not be for everyone and I'm glad. More work for me.

6. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    Hey there rainman, was wondering where ya were....glad things are going so well for ya! Hubby is in MO/KS getting ready to head back east.....to amports.

Take care out there and enjoy the time at home!:razz:

7. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    Another driver that I'm friends with has been getting some busy work. He took a load of Saabs to Troy then dropped off his truck and picked up a modified version of an old Auto Elite truck and test loaded Sprinter vans in Charleston,SC. They need to do more modifications on the unit. He then went to Greer and picked up 3 units he is delivering today in Toledo and Ann Arbor then he is to pick up his truck and grap 9 Sebrings out of Detroit to take to Amports. He doesn't know if he can grab a load out of Baltimore after that or not. Hopefully I won't be home too long. I'd hate to get out of the swing of things.

8. Ted Thompson

Ted Thompson Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Topeka, Kansas
    ive heard a few mentions of what to expect pay wise in the car hauling feild. Any where from 4000. -7000. per week not owning the truck. Did I hear right?

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I SERIOUSLY doubt those figures are "a week"!!!! Month would be more like it.

10. Ted Thompson

Ted Thompson Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Topeka, Kansas
    so if a driver owns the truck those numbers would go up to 2 or 3 times that amount per month?

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Probably. Those figures you posted could be to the truck owner a week. This week has been VERY slow and I'll have grossed almost $3000.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.