Career Change and Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cire_tnarb, May 22, 2024.

1. cire_tnarb

cire_tnarb Bobtail Member

May 22, 2024
    Hey everyone, I've been needing a career change and want to better myself financially and give me the ability to acquire benefits and insurance that aren't readily available to me where I'm currently working. I have been cooking on and off for 16 years and although it is fun and i enjoy it, I'm ready for a change.

I drove Non CDL box trucks years ago all over PA for almost 3 years picking up scrap tires and when I got back from my route i would be using a day cab or a jockey to move trailers at the docks for loading and unloading and parked in the yard for pickup. So I'm not a complete stranger to being around big trucks and backing them up was always easy for me. Along with a few family members that have their Class A and been driving for years i have a good support system and people to call on if needed. I have been browsing this forum the past few months while I acquired my Class A Permit and i have my TWIC card with plans to add my Tanker and Hazmat endorsements as soon as I can to give me more options. The idea of going OTR has always been something i wanted to experience for a little while and going to the local school is possible but I want to get away for a while and see parts of the country I haven't been too.

I live in Connecticut currently but I'm not tied down here at all so I'm open to going almost anywhere. I'm looking to try and start around September/October to give my job time to find and train my replacement as i have been there for 4 years and responsible for a lot. I have a great relationship with the Owner and Chef and don't want to leave them in a bad spot during our really busy season.

I know TMC Transportation is hiring in my area and right now i think that would be at the top of my list to apply to first. Flatbed appears to be consistent and not stuck in the truck for hours waiting to be unloaded at a warehouse and I would learn Load Securement which could help me in the future adding to my skillset. Will companies that train for CDL hire outside of their area since I'm not committed to the state I live in now? I have a small list of companies saved that i have researched but I'm open to any and all suggestions and advice on companies both good and bad to help me narrow it down.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions that are given!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Companies hire based on the address on your CDL.
    Still, several OTR coast-to-coast companies will hire you.
    Best bets right now, due to the recession, are flatbed & refrigerated.
    ~
    Maybe later, change your address to a state with no state income taxes.

cire_tnarb Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TMC
    Melton Truck Lines
    Leonard's Express
    Stevens Transport

cire_tnarb Thanks this.
  5. cire_tnarb

cire_tnarb Bobtail Member

May 22, 2024
    Taxes suck here and everything is expensive.... i cant justify paying $6500 for the school and around that for a decent car to commute to the school along with $1,500/month for an apartment with no utilities (have to move out my aunts soon) and $750 for my student loans only to come out after school barely making more than i am now at my current job... Id rather save that money for a year or two and knock out my student loans.

Im adding Leonards, Melton and Stevens to my list. Thank you sir!

Any refeer companies you are aware of that train?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    cire_tnarb Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stevens Transport | North American Multimodal Logisitcs Provider
    [​IMG]
    Company-Sponsored CDL Training
    At Stevens Transport, we see the value of adding skilled and talented drivers to the industry and allowing student drivers to succeed in a new career. If you do not have the financial means to attend a truck driver training program, we offer a complete 100% company sponsorship for CDL training. It’s our commitment to new truck drivers and affirming our proven leadership within the logistics and transportation industry. The sponsorship could include the following:
    • Training tuition
    • Lodging during school
    • Meal assistance
    • Transportation assistance
    Upon completing the CDL training program, you’ll put your new Class A CDL to work with a 240-hour paid on-the-job training with an experienced driver trainer.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
    cire_tnarb Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CDL Training & Truck Driving Schools - Roehl.Jobs
    This one pays the student $616.00 weekly while in cdl school.
    Has flatbed, conestoga, dry van, refrigerated.
    I haven't pulled conestoga, so can't give details on that.
    Here's a photo of conestoga trailer.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

cire_tnarb Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stick with refrigerated, flatbed, conestoga.
    You'll make more money than with dry van.

bryan21384 and cire_tnarb Thank this.
  10. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Prime Inc. does flatbed, reefer, tanker, and even some intermodal and hopper work now. Never worked there, so no idea on how hard switching divisions is, but it could be an avenue for being able to find your 'niche' while still only showing one employer on your work history.

I'd imagine they hire out of CT since they have an entire day cab fleet running in PA all the time. They're a massive fleet with customers everywhere

dave01282000 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime Inc refrigerated is the best choice for running all over the country. From what's been posted on here, refrigerated drivers make decent money for new drivers.

dave01282000 and Thrasher28 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.