Career Ending Ticket?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JrzyDave, Aug 10, 2022.

  1. JrzyDave

    JrzyDave Bobtail Member

    Oct 6, 2012
    I made a major mistake this morning. First day of school in Florida and I got a ticket for 39 in a 20 schoolzone. Totally my fault I just didn't realize what day it was and didn't register the yellow lights up ahead and drive straight into a radar trap.

    My CDL is barely 6 months old and except for a short stint with Melton that I had to leave because of a family medical issue I havent even gotten my first CDL job which I was ready to get back to.

    Even if somehow I can get it reduced to no points am I right thinking this is it? No company will hire me now? I'm really bummed. 40 years of driving and I've never even had a parking ticket
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Dave_in_AZ

    Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

    May 4, 2015
    Lawyer. And it's going to cost you a fortune and be drawn out for a long time with no guarantee.
  4. Opus

    Opus Road Train Member

    Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Get the DA to reduce it. Explain the problem and they'll probably work with you. After all, all they want is the money. $500 for 6 over.
    tscottme, W923, JrzyDave and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    19 over is reckless driving, plus a school zone.
    Have to get the speed that's printed on the ticket greatly reduced
    I almost did something similar yesterday. My car warns me with a loud beeping if I exceed the speed limit, even in school zones.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

    Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

    May 2, 2021
    Easy to do. I got a 61 in 40 last fall in south Texas. Middle of nowhere speed trap the county set up where a not well displayed sign reduced the limit from 65 to 45.

    I was rollin 66. Couldn't find a lawyer that would fight it for me. Spent weeks trying to get ahold of the judge, couldn't even get ANY answer from the County Courthouse.

    Left probably 20 messages.

    Judge finally called the day of court and told me to mail a check, won't be reported.

    All about safety
  7. Moose1958

    Moose1958 Road Train Member

    Dec 17, 2010
    Ainigriv Notpmah
    This ticket IS NOT a career-ender. Stop worrying about it. 19 over is on table 2 of 383.51, but as long as you don't get another violation of anything on table 2 in 3 years you should be OK. It's the table 1 thing that can cost a driver big time. I have no opinion on hiring an attorney. Know this though! That ticket might cost you higher insurance premiums going forward.
    tscottme Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

    bryan21384 Road Train Member

    Sep 18, 2009
    1918 Anywhere, USA 90210
    I agree with Moose. It ain't over but you'll have to tread lightly. I had ticket for 17 over and Western Express took me out of school. Granted it wasn't in a school zone but I think you should go work there and clean up your record for the time being, or whichever company will take you. School zone tickets are big time tickets so tighten up!! You'll be fine though.
    Flat Earth Trucker and JrzyDave Thank this.
  9. JrzyDave

    JrzyDave Bobtail Member

    Oct 6, 2012

    Thanks everyone for your replies. I went down to the TicketClinic and at the very least got some representation. Kind of just greasing the wheels and its possible they can get it to no points.

    2nd question?

    Even if it gets reduced to no points I'm guessing the DOT will have it on my records and employers will see that? Do they only care about moving violations with points or is it anything driving related? I need to report this to anyone? I don't work for any company so there is no employer to notify but do I need to do anything extra?

    I appreciate your answers and experience.
    austinmike Thanks this.

    DRTDEVL Road Train Member

    Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Your primary goal is to get this reduced, at a minimum, to 14 over. While 14 over is bad enough, 15+ within 3 years in un-hirable at most places.

    Definitely get a good lawyer and pay whatever it takes, because it will cost you many opportunities if you just take this on its face.
    Speedy356 and Geekonthestreet Thank this.
  11. MIT

    MIT Road Train Member

    Oct 22, 2018
    Get a lawyer fight it get it reduced to a non moving equipment infraction. Like license plate light not working. Between lawyer and fine probably cost $750-$1000 but well worth it to protect your career.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted