Career Path Forward in Trucking.....for a Felon.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by WeightedDips, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    A company I know in California liked hiring ex cons because they got a tax benefit and as said already the drivers did a good job and stayed on for many years

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WeightedDips

WeightedDips Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2021
    I came back 1 day later and have a ton of information to get me started. Much appreciated for each and every one of you that took the time to help you out. I think you guys gave me a good list to get started with. I enrolled this morning and paid the $3,600.00 up front for the class, first class date of February. In the mean time I ordered several Amazon CDL practice books and study books and soaking in all the knowledge I can until I can get in a truck. Again, much appreciated to everyone.

Just fyi, not all felons are bad people. I made a dumb decision when I ran, the aggravated assault on an officer, was a completely made up charge. Hence, the reason my attorney took so long to fight it and take it to trial. The officer lied in the police report, it than took us over 3 years to get them to turn over the dash cam. I went in the court room facing 99 years and walked out of the court room a free man that day, being the best feeling of my life. I don't have any hatred towards any police officers and have family members that serve, but there's always a bad one in the bunch.

With that said, when I got in trouble I was getting ready to go in the military. Getting in trouble wiped my life long dreams so I made the best of the situation I could. I enrolled in the local community college and got an Associates in Business and have been busting ### for the last 10 years doing tree work, but decided I didn't want to be climbing at 50 years old. I've always had a passion for driving and seeing what America has to offer. My eyes were opened to Truck Driving and I think it is the next best thing in America, to our military. Without you guys, our country wouldn't move so much respect to everyone of you and again to all of you that took the time to help here.

I look forward to talking to all of you over the years and hope to see you on the road. You guys gave plentiful information to get me started and if I can't get on with one of these companies to get started, I'll come back and try more options! Thanks again for everyone's time!

4. WeightedDips

WeightedDips Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2021
    2011 was the last time I had been in trouble. (My previous arrest date.)
    I went to prison in 2007.

I don't know if I still qualify having been so long, however I do remember going through the pre-release classes and they said that we qualified for a tax break for future employers.

With that said prison is an experience and believe it or not I met some great people in there who made mad decisions. My cell mate on Ferguson Unit, owns over 15 Churches Chicken chains throughout the Dallas, Ft. Worth, and North Texas area. He spent his nights in his prison cell doing paper work and running his restaurants from the inside of a cell.

And I feel the truck is one of the most suited places in the world for a convict. They are tired of being locked in a box. The best thing they can do is get to freedom and see the country. Not only that, but living in a truck is nothing when your used to living in a 5 x 5 rusted out cell with no heat or air in the middle of Texas summers.

mjd4277 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Thanks for the great responces drivers. This is what Thetruckersreport is all about. Knowledge in trucking and drivers helping drivers.
    Chinatown,your the best!!!!

mjd4277 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Remember Weighted, there is a CDL practice tests tab located in the top header of each page.

mjd4277, Pamela1990 and Wargames Thank this.
  7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    My Advise WeightedDips, your on the right track right now, you will have a second chance,in Trucking. I hope you stay on track and not fall back to the old days. Your going to have tough times ahead of you, we all do. Your going to be in a spot, and the temptation of exploding will be there, but you can beat it by keeping calm. everything is going to rely on your actions of staying calm. You can do this my friend. You have a lot of new friends here on thetruckersreport.

8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    It can be after one gets their time in over there. Plenty of WDT daycabs and yard dogs at various dairy plants running local shuttles, tanker loading and yard moves. Also a good spot to go to if the felony is making a HAZMAT endorsement a no-go.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    He can get hazmat and TWIC if he wants it.

Northern Nomad Thanks this.
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I thought one couldn't get those with a felony on record.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Moose1958 knows the details on that.
    But, yes, he can get both TWIC and hazmat. Friend of mine did 5 years for drug dealing and got both.

Wargames Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.