Careful with sexist behavior, almost got kicked out of CDL class

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by seamutt, Oct 19, 2021.

1. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    @seamutt Do you have a copy of the document you signed?

seamutt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    I don't think I should say where I am going to school. But I will mention two other facts that I originally left out for the sake of brevity.

One is that after this person earlier mentioned in conversation that she suffered from bipolar disorder, PTSD, had made suicide attempts, and had migraine headaches (for which she left class early the day before), then came back the next day - after originally struggling during the first week - and did very well on a pre-trip inspection. I then said something to her along the lines of "I bet your headaches will leave you now". Or actually, I think the context was more like... "this is stressful for all of us, but you did great today. I bet your headaches will leave you now.". However I suppose this might be considered a 'microaggression' that could p*ss someone off? But here's the catch. Given this persons above history, and thinking about this for a few minutes this afternoon, I went went back into the office afterward and asked if anyone had corroborated her accusation. And they said someone had, or they wouldn't have confronted me the way they did. So maybe it's possible that I'm the delusional one with selective memory here? Or maybe it was the guy in a more advanced class who's been trying to pick up on her who got his digs in by backing her up (even though she's married)? I just don't know...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    JolliRoger and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. N00bLaLoosh

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Hearsay doesn't interest me, post the document and tell us where you're going to school.

5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You know the world is so crazy it may not have been her that said something.

It may have been someone else that thought they heard you say something that you did not say, it could have been someone that for whatever reason just doesn't like you, or it could even be that maybe you are friendly and easygoing and perhaps someone else is smitten with her... who knows?

I'm sure it would have made a much bigger deal out of things but I would not have signed anything. It is easy for someone sitting behind a keyboard to tell you that and I'm sure you did what you thought was right.

But never admit guilt. I'm sure they did that as a cya exercise, but just imagine if something happened and for whatever reason you were alone with that person or you walked past her and she went back to them and said hey that guy is harassing me.

You already have admitted guilt even though you did nothing, so it could put you into a real mess. Now like I said I'm sure they did this just as cya, but be careful about things like that in the future because you potentially agreed that you committed a crime, basically.

And I would be certain that what you agreed to is now part of your record at that school. I highly doubt they would reveal that to a future employer because they want everyone to have a job upon graduating, something to do with the state and accreditation or subsidies or something like that but they want everyone to have a job.

But I do Wonder If an employer requests your records whether that would be in there. And for the future never sign anything like that because if you're ever in a situation that a woman says you harassed her or you get accused of rape or something like that, somewhere there is a lawyer that will dig that up.

And the worst part of it is that you signed the paper admitting guilt without knowing what the allegation was. Did you say something racist? Did you physically touch her? Did you threaten her or sexually accost her?

I know you did not do any of those things but you signed something saying you're guilty not knowing even what they accused you of.

If you have any ability to do so, maybe you should consider speaking with a lawyer.

There may be a period of time kind of like when you sign a contract that you can rescind that and not have that be part of your record.

I don't know if it is a serious thing, but in my opinion they violated your rights trying to force you to sign that paper. They basically forced you to sign a paper agreeing Guilt without telling you what you're agreeing to. In all law in our country you always are told what you are accused of. I'm certainly not a lawyer but I find that hard to believe that is legal because you're under duress of paying them and future employment.

I would look further into it because if this is something that could affect your future employment and it's affecting how your classes are going and everything else it may be a bigger deal than you think. Again, I certainly don't know, but you might even have some kind of a lawsuit. This is something that potentially could affect your character, your reputation, and your livelihood.

Good luck.

6. N00bLaLoosh

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    This post...is a thing of beauty.

Hammer166, Pamela1990, Siinman and 3 others Thank this.
  7. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    What a nice and thougthful post. Thank you. They did allow me to attach a statement to the document, and in it I insisted that I had done nothing improper and denied everything that I had just admitted to (whatever that was). I also asked if this was going to be forwarded to a database like 'HireRight', and they said no. It would only be internal. So I think I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and try to ride this out for another two weeks.

One last thing. It may be that the problem here was that I felt sorry for this girl, and that I was therefore being overly friendly. Never sexual or suggestive (she's in her 20's and...married, and I'm over 50 anyway), but just engaged and trying to help and encourage her in few small ways if I could. That may be a mistake with opposite sex relationships, and easily open to misinterpretation. Therefore I'd suggest that you all be extremely careful in work environments.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I say nothing to anyone unless friends or family. Try to answer strangers with very
    Simple answers.
    Go days without talking to anyone in person.
    I held a door open for a lady?, when wife and I were out for dinner. She bit my head off for being a male chauvinist.
    I grew up n a military family was in the military and just natural to say Sir or ma’am. Not any more, I have been #####ed at more than once for it .
    But your right anymore you can’t win

9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I know several people almost fired or fire for calling a woman “sweetie, honey” etc. These were older guys to just brought up in that generation where that’s what you addressed women as and it was considered nice and polite. These guys are in no way shape or form being sexist. That’s just how they talk, older and southern. People have gotten way too sensitive today in my opinion. We can’t even joke around with each other anymore Like we used to.

10. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    We are at a point now where even saying "hello" or "good morning" to be polite may be taken as sexual harassment. I think it was 3ish years ago (im trying to find the article but its burried by men evil crap when i try to find it) a ups driver was accused of sexual harassment, stalking for being "creepy" and making a woman afraid because every morning he would say hello or good morning when he woukd have her sign for the businesses packages. He was nearly convicted too before about a months worth of videos cropped up showing he would just say hello, drop the packages on the counter, ask her to sign and say something along the lines of "have a good one" then leave.

If someone gives me something to sign and admit guilt but wont tell me what im accused of im going to tell them to shove it and if they try kick me out then i would see if i can sue for lible and/or extortion. Because you have ZERO clue what is on that paper or what you were accused of and zero clue how the acuser will use it against you. What if it says you sexually harassed her or gropeing her and she goes to the police? Well your screwed now because you signed a document admiting you did so and your going to the courts. Worse what if you signed that saying you groped and/or sexually assaulted her and she then claims rape later and that you used a condom so the rape kit shows negitive? just to spite you? Well you have a document saying "i admit i groped and/or sexually harassed this woman" in your own hand writeing. Good luck proving you didnt rape her after that.

This world is crazy. Signing an admision of guilt without any clue whats on it is just flat out asking to be raked over the coals at some point.

Hammer166, Rocks, Pamela1990 and 7 others Thank this.
  11. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    You talk too much in this time period.
    Best solution is stick to yourself.
    Everything is some form of harassment

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.