Careless driving in NJ help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckersMom, Apr 12, 2008.

1. TruckersMom

TruckersMom Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Weirton, WV
    Here I am again...trying to use this forum without really knowing how..but here I go...my son was delivering a load in NJ...was sent for reefer fuel..after fueling up...he needed to go left, but couldn't, so he went right trying to find a place to turn. After finding a place, he made the left, and assumed he jumped a curb, so he continued on his merry way...then here come the cops...to make a long story short, they ticketed him for 5 things....2 for being overweight on 2 streets, one for careless driving, 1 for failure to report, and one for leaving the scene. He hired Jim Klepper's company for representation. This was his first offense. Is he finished in the trucking industry? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Hiring an attorney was the smartest thing he did. Jim Klepper is pretty well known to truckers for his prepaid legal services and is a regular contributor to many trucking publications as well as a guest on Sirius Radio channel 147.

I doubt Mr. Klepper will be representing your son though. The way it normally works is they will hire an attorney in the area where the tickets were issued or the court that is slated to hear the case. Normally the attorney will attempt to negotiate a plea bargain for a much lesser charge with the DA. Be forewarned though this is not going to be cheap. While the attorneys fee was a flat fee the court will assess additional fees that will be his responsibility to pay. With that many tickets against him it would not surprise me to hear of fines around a thousand bucks after everything is said and done especially in New Jersey.

I hope its less but look at it this way; its only money and as long as he can keep his cdl AND keep his job he will make more of it. It is a learning experience and I am sure he will NOT make this 1 again (at least in the same place anyway). For now they are "charges" not convictions and should not lose his job IF those charges can be negotiated down to less serious ones (albeit more expensive though).

4. Hitman

Hitman Mr. Gamer

Sep 5, 2006
    Tioga, PA
    I assume he hit a car, since he was charged with failure to report and leaving the scene?

5. TruckersMom

Apr 12, 2008
    Weirton, WV
    Nope...it was a light pole

6. TruckersMom

Apr 12, 2008
    Weirton, WV
    He's already paid the attorney....$950 big ones...but will b well worth it if he can keep his license. Like u said its only money...

7. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    Sounds like he was trying to get out of Bordentown (exit 7 on the Turnpike). That place is as messed up as a bucket of worms.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.