Cargo/Liability Insurance suggestions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Brad, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Brad

Brad Bobtail Member

May 22, 2006
    My father and I have dedicated runs with a local business. For the last few years we have been leased to a company and they covered the insurance for 20% of the gross. We are going to reinstate our authority and need to have cargo insurance to do so. Any suggestions on a good company or two to check with? Any help is appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Call OOIDA. They quoted me about $750 a month with everything. There is also First Guard that advertises heavily on XM. And a lot of big carriers use Liberty Mutual.

I'm assuming you're getting your own authority. Be aware that the DOT does not grant authority until they get your insurance. It can take 2-4 weeks for them to process it. This means you'll need to be able to pay for a month of insurance that you won't need because you can't run without it legally.

4. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    You do not need the insurance to be active until after the 30 day authority application comment period. Just tell your insurance agent to have the effective date for 35 or so days after you applied for the authority and you will be all set.

To find insurance you need to shop around. Look in the yellow pages, classified adds, etc. Get as many quotes as you can and go with the agency that gave you the best service when getting the qoute. The cheapest company may give you non-existent service when you have a claim. Call twice and change what you need quoted and see how they respond. Service is more important than cost.

5. BearGator56

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    The comment wasn't so much about the insurance being active, but that you would have to front the cost. Insurance companies will not start a policy without a down payment of some sort.

6. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    Ahhh, I see what you are saying. You aren't wasting the money really, but you are tying up working capital.

7. BearGator56

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Yep-just another cost to cushion yourself for!

8. doggone

doggone Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm assuming you're getting your own authority. Be aware that the DOT does not grant authority until they get your insurance. It can take 2-4 weeks for them to process it. This means you'll need to be able to pay for a month of insurance that you won't need because you can't run without it legally.[/QUOTE]

What would it cost to get your authority if you would want to run with a straight truck thanks

9. BearGator56

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL

What would it cost to get your authority if you would want to run with a straight truck thanks[/QUOTE]

The authority is $300 for your USDOT and MCC numbers. You can apply online, and they will accept a credit card. Fairly simple process. Be aware that as soon as you pay and get your confirmation, several process agents will call you. They charge a standard fee of $35 bucks. If you are an OOIDA member, I believe they will be your process agent as part of your annual membership.

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
  11. Brad

Brad Bobtail Member

May 22, 2006
    I ended up with Roehmer Insurance. Just over $500 per month. I had to pay $1900 up front and the rest of the year is payed over 8 months. I joined OOIDA for the process agent. The have a Christmas special, $25 til the end of January. The ball is almost completely rolling now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.