Cargo Securement

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joethemechanic, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    My trainer, If you want to call Ed a trainer, was a very intense, guy in his 60's who owned about 15 trucks and a whole lot of trailers. He was a steel hauler. He was also a former business agent, an ex drunk, had done time for hijacking trailers, and all around good guy. The crazy thing is he was a stickler for safety.Brake adjustments every week on every piece of equipment, he would go to his warehouse on Sundays and if he even found 1 bulb in a marker light out, he would freak, and then come to my house and yell at me, If a truck leaked enough air over the weekend to set off the buzzer he would have a fit.

I think he was like that because he had an accident while driving a coal truck back in the 30's or 40's that left him half crippled. He told me it was because of defective brakes. In the end that crooked leg is what killed him due to a non healing wound and his blood sugar.

If I did anything wrong as far as cargo securement went he would yell at me for a week. He would even come into the bar I drank at and tell me if I had nothing better to do with my time than get sloppy drunk, I might as well come back to work and fix what I did wrong.

That guy was such a crazy spaz that I still hear him yelling at me whenever I start to do something wrong, and he will be dead 20 years on November 10th. And I thank God I was lucky enough to know him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Drivers ,after over 28 yrs of driving flatbed trailer loads,you never should have a securement device on the outside of the rail. It is illegal in some states and very dangerous to do. If you have a light load like insulation and anotrher truck sideswiped you and the straps are cut,those bundles will just about take the roof off a vehicle,break a windshield,or at the worst,cause a big accident with multi vehicles. One other thing that bothers me alot, I always hook my straps so if they stretch or loosen they won't just fall off the rail,that's how drivers lose loads or pieces of loads. I hook my flat steel,up over the top of the rail and bring the strap inside of the rail. It can't just fall off that way. If the rails are bent in,I put the strap only thru the inside of the rail,throw it over to the winch,and hook the steel on the outside of the rail,its harder to cut and break that steel than the strap. The twist has been used for many years,while some have tried to say it could be torn,not so,you scouldn't break that strap with an 8 ft cheaper pipe,unless the strap was frayed or worn. One word of advice ,especially for newbees,wear your hardhats while chaining down, this is important"",the safest way i have found to pull the leverage pullover binders is have your back toward the trailer and pull the cheater pipe over your left or right shoulder,if it slips,you won't split your face wide open or your head,I have witnessed alot of injuries like this,its better to tighten it a couple of times rather than injuring yourself trying to get it really tight so you think you won't have to stop again,run a ways and check them again. I have helped many drivers thru the years..Have tons of advice on chaining diff types of loads. One of you,maybe Burky put it in here,had a whole book about tying down every type of load,it was a very thorough book.

4. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    WOW....you guys have some great tips and advice!!!!!!!!!

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I like that. Looks nice...

Hopefully they'll be considerate enough to wait for you to do that.

Looked to me like nothing...

I doubt if you would've had that problem on that load of stuff. It's not piled very high at all. That's the best kind of flatbed freight to have, heavy and compact. Chain would also have worked. It wouldn't have hurt it none.

I wondered why people did that. To me it just didn't look right. But I've only ever had that problem with stuff standing 8' tall or so. I like to pull my straps tight.

I do see something you did wrong there. Notice the arch of the trailer against the straight boom. It'll tend to want to rock back and forth on you. I would've preferred dunnage on the ends. Also, if you didn't want to throw the straps over the top, through the middle would work too.

Ugh!! That's one thing I hated when I was doing that. Too much loading time, not enough driving time. That's just a personal preference there. I hated the guys that always got the long runs. I know it all paid the same, but I gotta have enough windshield time to make it worth my while.

6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A lot of times simply tightening the strap will stop that. I like the ones with the straps vibrating very slow, which means they are very loose.

I always went outside and never had any problems. I like to loop the hook ends around the rail 360 degrees. That way you can sort of tuck it down inside to hold it in place momentarily until you can get back to the other side of the trailer to tighten it.

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I always liked to keep a smooth jaw pipe wrench handy for ratchet binders. What tends to happen is when you a have long pull of chain it will want to twist on you while you are tightening the binder, despite how well oiled the binder may be. The wrench allows you to hold the chain end in place.

Also, one thing I believe Buckandahalf was getting at was that in transport, binders will tend to work loose. The way to prevent that is to turn the handle in such a way as to lay it against something, usually the trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.