Cargo Vans, Not that type!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by truckntim80, Apr 17, 2007.

1. truckntim80

truckntim80 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Cookeville, TN
    I am referring to Cargo Vans (4 wheeler)

Any Cargo van drivers on here? I would like some general ideals of what the job is like.

I found some companies that hire O/Os to do this type of work.

All Star Express
    Metro Express
    FedEX Custom Critical
    Diamond delivery
    On Time Express

Any info on any of these companies, any that I should avoid?

I tried the search on here, but come up empty handed on what I'm looking for.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buffalo Chip

Buffalo Chip Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi Truckintim80 –
    I live in Buffalo, NY and I currently am an owner operator with a local expedited package operation. I run an E350 Ford extended. It’s an ok gig if you can get on with the right company and get the right miles. (if Fed X operated four wheeler O/O here I would look toward them based on what I know about the company). I don’t drive a regular route (our company has them) but I handle time critical deliveries, usually stuff that needs to be up and off in less than 90 minutes. The money isn’t bad, close to $44,000 a year after operating expenses, except that as an owner operator there is zero benefits.

Health Insurance – I pay a freakin ugly bill for that every month!
    Dental Insurance – yea right!?!
    Retirement savings plan – IRA is ok but having a company match even a part your input into a 401k is a huge bonus.
    Paid vacation – what’s that????
    Paid holiday – that really happens?!?

I was getting a few long distance runs that required a straight truck last spring. I’d rent a nonCDL truck from Ryder or Penskie and after all was said and done I came out making some really good money. Just as I was about to go with a long term lease on a truck last summer the work dried up.

I really enjoyed running the longer distance stuff in the straight truck. There was just something about being out on the road. Right now I’m rehabbing some recent surgery and once the doc clears me for regular duty (I’m on light duty now) I’m looking to a career in a real truck! Even starting at $35,000 a year with benefits and minus all the headaches that go along with being a little O/O I’ll be a much happier man.

4. truckntim80

truckntim80 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Cookeville, TN
    Thanks for your reply....

Have you heard anything - Good or Bad, about Panther II? I have looked at their website, plus I e-mailed them some questions. I haven't received a reply back yet. If I don't hear back from them in a few days, I 'll give them a call.

Do you know of any good companies? If you don't mind me asking, what company do you operate for and how long have you worked there? You don't have to get details, just an ideal.

How is a typical day doing this type work? Give me a example.

thank you

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Landstar Express America is another expediter company.

6. Trucker21

Trucker21 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Dearborn, Michigan
    How's life on the road in a cargo van? I am considering driving one for an expediting company. Where do you sleep? How does the 12 volt thing work? Can I have a TV, a laptop, and a cooler running in the van? Also where's the best place to find coolers, laptop stands, ect? Thanks so much.

7. CJH1977

CJH1977 Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Monmouth, Maine
    I was wondering, from a guy who has been doing this to a guy who is looking at starting up, are there any good load boards out there with this kind of freight? Also, Do you have to register with IRP and IFTA and follow DOT regs.?

8. 10bballer

10bballer Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2011
    ca
    Hi I just wanted to know if you need a cdl for a cargo van, also what about the dot phycial is one requried for van drivers?

i want to drive as an o/o as a van... I would then like to buy a couple more vans as a fleet owner.. that is if things work out, can any one help me out? with some infor?

thank you.

9. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    Most companies want you to have a CDL and Physical card

10. 10bballer

10bballer Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2011
    ca
    Thank you, wow if I have to get all that, then i should just go head, and drive the big trucks.

11. Twiztid_Trucker

Twiztid_Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Toledo, Oh
    I think most expediting require a CDL class B, to drive the straight trucks, no CDL required for c/v, but still recommended. Class B is usually a much shorter class than going for class A, which is needed for the big rigs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (usually am) but thats how I understood it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.