Cargo Vans With Panther Expedited Good Idea??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bigarmin88, May 22, 2010.

1. MarineDriver1

MarineDriver1 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Nowhere right now
    Hi guys...

Just a quick overview... I am currently the owner of an 05 FL Classic Glider. I completed a lease-purchase for it. Now, it's breaking down all the time and I can't afford it anymore (i.e. No Air Condition, Motor Mounts worn, Radiator not breathing right, exhaust leak, might need tranny replaced, etc), so I'm seriously thinking about selling it. If I do so, I'd like to maybe get out of the big trucks and into the vans.

My question is, besides increased mobility due to the smaller size of a cargo van, and obvious fuel mileage increase from 6MPGs that I'm getting now... what are the big differences? I spoke with a Panther Van Driver on Saturday that said he loves it! His van had a bed right behind the seat, and the rest was cargo. He said I'd no longer have to deal with weigh stations... no more log books... it's hard to see a downside here. Can anyone verify this? He also said, with the van, you don't even need a CDL, just a "Chauffeurs License"... I'm looking forward to the reply.

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. riley77

riley77 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Hi MarineDriver1, what kind of Panther van was it? Was it a high-top cargo van such as a promaster or was it a sprinter van?

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Ottopuppy, @Ottopuppy - here's a thread on Panther Premium Logistics. I thought they required a cdl-A, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. MarineDriver1

MarineDriver1 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Nowhere right now
    It was a high-top dodge van.

6. Ragman54

Ragman54 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2016
    S.E. Michigan
    The downside is there are a bizzillion vans on the road. For every load, there are 5 - 6 vans sitting waiting for s load, and rates are in the toilet.

Check out expeditorsonline.com. i'm sure those guys can fill you in.

7. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    That all depends on the weight rating of the vehicle. Some states still require vehicles over 10,000 lbs plated to stop into the scales, WI is one of them I do believe.

rda2580 Thanks this.
  8. bdkilgore

bdkilgore Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Texas
    Panther makes you sign a 6 month contract . You must give a 30 day notice to quit. Also the 6 month contract renews automatically. You also get charged if you are late delivering your load. You must pay money if you break your contract.

9. bdkilgore

bdkilgore Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Texas
    Panther makes you sign a 6 month contract . You must give a 30 day notice to quit. Also the 6 month contract renews automatically. You also get charged if you are late delivering your load. You must pay money if you break your contract.

10. vetranspro

vetranspro Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    I am currently an O/O with Panther. Started after I retired from the Air Force and we have had huge success this past year (our 1st year). Really good money and my team drivers only drove 10-12 loads a month and was out no more than 3-weeks at a time. You only need a state drivers license. No CDL or chauffeur license needed. You need the same drivers license as you use to drive your own car. Single drivers can only drive for 16 hrs straight and then you have to have 5-hrs down (consecutive).

The load board is not first come first served, but more of who is closer to the load (zip code). Makes sense if you are the owner. Just say you are #1 of 10 vans on the Laredo, TX board but you are sitting in San Antonio, TX 159 miles away. When a load comes out of of the Laredo zip code they are going to give it to the van in that area not to a van that is in San Antonio... Then again, you may be #10 on Laredo board sitting in San Antonio and will get the load if the pickup is closer to you... Doesn't good business sense to pay someone hundreds of mile of deadhead when you have a vehicle sitting right there.

Getting ready to put van #2 on the road and #3 in a few more months... If you want to run with Panther you can... I got other friends who are out here as well and they get a lot of offers as single drivers... Usually slow during the Christmas/New Years holiday... Their operating zone is east of I-35 and North I-40... If you stay in that corridor you will role... If you get out of it you may sit a day or two... Get out west and you may sit 2-3 days or ask for an empty move back into the corridor at the end of day 1... They are ready good at getting at paying you to empty move in that case... You can email me if you have any other questions @ vetranspro@gmail.com

DY2009 Thanks this.
  11. vetranspro

vetranspro Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    No CDL required for cargo van drivers... Just a regular license like you use for you personal auto...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.