Carrier Showing on BOL

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zmster2033, Jan 23, 2018.

1. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    If you run under your own authority and receive a load from the broker. Will you move it if your own company is not listed as the carrier on the BOL but rather the broker you received the load from?

I.e. TQL shows as the carrier instead of Zmster Trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    A lot of times, the shipper doesn't give a rip who YOU are, or what name is on your door. They want to know what broker to pay for the shipment, and that broker deals with you. You check in under the broker's name, and that broker's name will likely be on the paperwork. Not really all that big of a deal.

Highway_Executive and BigBob410 Thank this.
  4. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I don't want to assume...but I think he'd be more worried about D.O.T. or does that matter? I don't believe I ever pulled a brokered load.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Leave it as tql or whatever broker you got the load from. They want you to leave it as is. If you change it they will think you are trying to steal their customer. They want the customer and shipper and receiver....everyone involved to conduct all transactions through them to prevent the customer from contacting you directly.

If you are trying to steal the customer this is not the way to do it. Stealing customers/back soliciting is a whole other thread though. Better to not do it in most cases.

6. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Would there ever be a case where your insurance (the carriers insurance) would not cover a claim due to TQL being listed instead of the carrier the insurance company insures?

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You're listed as the carrier in the rate confirmation contract.

zmster2033 Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It may matter when it comes to payment disputes to have your company name somewhere on a BOL, especially when dealing with less recognized brokers. I never change the printed info on a BOL, you'd have to go through hell to have them change it into yours, but I hand write my company name at my signature along with truck and trailer number. There has to be something showing that you picked up and delivered the load on BOL. Rate Con does not prove it.

9. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I have always written my company name next to the brokers name. Also write it next to my signature.

I seem to remember it being in the regulations somewhere that the carriers name that was hauling the load had to be listed on the BOL. Maybe not, I could be wrong, I have been 1 time before.

10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i just write it in next to my signature

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.