Carrying firearms in a truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GasHauler, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RIBS

RIBS Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Ward , Arkansas

I have searched threw the whole FMCSA book and cant find anyhting on firearms etc.

Next to global warming it's the next biggest hoax

4. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    :yes2557: :yes2557:

SilveradoBlue Thanks this.
  5. SilveradoBlue

SilveradoBlue Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Missouri
    :biggrin_25514:

I guess some people are just too lazy to read THRU a forum.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. kyleplusitunes

kyleplusitunes Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Hello there, this is my first post on the forums.

I will start this thread with a little infomation about myself, and why I began this quest to find out the truth. The bad information I received, and how far I actually have gone, and updates on how far I will be going to find out all I can on this subject. The lack of actual truth anywhere on the internet (or in truck stops) for that matter, was astounding.

I am a resident of the state of Michigan, a SHALL ISSUE state for concealed pistol licenses, within the last few month's I have finally received my CPL, and I was curious if I could now transport my firearm in my truck into states with repository with Michigan.

My first stop was the truckstop, on the CB in a few different cities I asked if I could carry my firearm in my truck, since I am now licensed by the state of michigan to do so. After being told "Shut up, Stupid" a few times, I finally received a "HELL NO, you can't carry a gun in your truck!!" The actual truth of this statement, however, was wrong.

My next stop was calling the MSP, Speaking with Inspector Copeland in Lansing Michigan, he confirmed what I was beginning to assume. There is no law by the state of Michigan, MDOT, or DOT that restricts the carry of a firearm in your CMV, where permitted by law. HOWEVER, your trucking company can prohibit firearms in their trucks, and on their property. When involved in a LEO (law enforcement officer) stop, you MUST disclose your CPL, and whether you are armed or not BEFORE the stop begins.

Interesting.

Next stop, States that do not honor Michigan CPL's. My main concerns, Wisconsin, Illinois, and New York State.

Illinois, one of the worst states for gun laws, and has special requirements for most gun owners (such as FOID card) was a major concern of mine to carry through, since I spend quite a bit of time in the state. I called the ISP, however, I can not remember the name of the Inspector I talked to, it was the inspector in charge of CMV's on the number listed on the web, I'll add it in an edit at some point if it's possible.

I asked the Inspector how, if at all, I could transport my handgun in my CMV legally through his state. He said to be in compliance with all laws I would actually need a FOID card, however, it is unavailable to out of state residents. Then he stated, I CAN however, disassemble, lock, separate ammunition, and transport my firearm through his state, for "recreational" purposes.

This is as far as I have gotten on my search for the truth so far, I am working hard on getting answers from Wisconsin, New Jersey, New York State, and a few others, calling both the state police and commercial vehicle enforcement agencies. I will post all my future findings here.

I do fully intend to carry my firearm in my truck, legally, and above board, once I do a little more research on the exact gun laws in the states that do not honor Michigan CPL's.

I hope this helps anyone, who like me a few weeks ago, thought, ignorantly enough, that keeping a firearm in your CMV was completely illegal.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington

7. southernpride

southernpride Gone But Never Forgotten

Apr 5, 2009
    orlando,fl
    now my friend you have started off in the right direction and all states have there own version of gun laws. you need to check with any state you go threw in order to be sure your legal.

there use to be a federal law that said you could not transport a fire arm in a truck and cross state lines and a lot of drivers still think that is law, it is not that law was repealed in 1968 leaving each state the right to enforce there own law that is how it is today.

this subject has been discussed several times on this forum and i suspect it will keep being discussed and that to me is not a problem it is important.

if you have a concealed weapons permit most of the western states will honor the permit with the exception of California, however the east coast in particular new York, new jersey and Virginia do not i cant go into particulars because i don't run up there at all.

the safest thing to do is call each state and find out what there particular law is before you go into that state if you don't and you get caught it can be very expensive and can include jail time a phone call is cheap.

remember all states are different thats why there is so much confusion on the subject, the best thing you can do is to call each state.

hope this helps. best of luck. southernpride---:biggrin_25514:

8. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Cops like this give all of us the reason to carry
    Step by step we become under their control

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...pholds-police-pointing-gun-at-lawful-carriers

Ridgerunner665 Thanks this.
  9. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio

The only problem is,if you disassemble the gun,lock it,and have the ammo in a different part of the bunk,what is that gonna do for you?The only thing I could imagine bein put together quick,is putting the cyclinder of a revolver back onto the gun..How far would a semi auto need to be taken down?Does it just involve taking the upper reciever off the slide,or takin the barrel and spring out as well?If thats the case,you would be screwed if it had to be taken down completly...Another thing I would look into is,if you would get in trouble for shooting someone..I mean,if you are only aloud to travel with the gun for recreational purpose,what happens when you use it for self deffense?Yeah sure if you shot someone deffending yourself,you probably wouldnt have nothing happen in criminal court..But is the family gonna be able to sue you in civil court?Their first statement in court is gonna be "he was not aloud to carry for personnel defense,but thats what he did"...Another thing you have to think about is,what if you miss the person..That bullet is goin somewhere..Heck,I am pretty sure even a .22 could penetrate a truck..If you hit a sleeping driver,and he dies,there is no "sorry it was an accident"..I would chew on that for a bit..I am all about guns..There is just way to many "crazies" and john wayne's out there drivin..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.