Carrying firearms in a truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GasHauler, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truck Vet

Truck Vet <strong>NRA AMA Libertarian</strong>

Aug 30, 2006
    +1 Good post. The nice thing about driveing a reliable truck is that there
    is not much that can stop you and make you give up control of it. It
    took 9-11 before people thought of arming pilots. Now we are going through backgroud testing and fingerprinting to have a hazmat endorcement. Whats it going to take for the government to let us
    legally protect our load? I realize if you do a buch of research you
    may be able to legally carry depending on who you work for. Who has
    time to do that for every state thay go through? I would like to take my
    wife camping on the Blue ridge parkway and have a 357 I bring on the
    motorcycle. Its a sad state of affairs that I will have more to fear from
    the government than I will from Bears or robbers. As for carrying in the
    Truck, for me it would not be worth the hassle.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pyro

Pyro Bobtail Member

May 4, 2007
    Some people are just stupid!!! I know people who use handguns to hunt with. Also your comment about Virginia Tech. If more people carried guns that dumb ##* forener wouldn't have caused as much devastation as he did, cause someone else would have shot his dumba** as soon as he started gunning down innocent American civilians. Some people are just stupid!!! Outlawing guns won't do anything except take the guns from law abiding citizens. Criminals will always get guns taht is why the average law abiding person must be allowed to continue to own guns for protection from the criminals. As for carrying a gun in the truck I personally do not, I am not against it I just do not know enough about the laws in every place I go to to do it legally, and well I don't want to end up in serious trouble for illegally carrying a concealed weapon. But for those who do carry be safe and good luck with the laws and regulations where you choose to carry yor gun

REDD, mcrich, TheOldPineTree and 10 others Thank this.
  4. poorboy

poorboy Bobtail Member

May 18, 2007
    seymor ind
    i used to drive in a state where the dot and statepolice told me i was crazy for not carring a concealed weapon toias you have noticed ive not mentioned any names for obivous reasons i ran this state on a regular basis

5. Hub City

Hub City Bobtail Member

May 25, 2007
    New England
    I carry legally in MA & NH. I know the consequences for using deadly force-or even pulling it out of my pocket. the law is strict on this: I have to LEAVE the situation and REMOVE myself from the location if possible. If I am pursued with deadly force, I can respond likewise. And I DO NOT have to be a victum to defend myself in any situation that is life threatening.
    I also know the consequenses for getting caught with it in the other 48 states. I will be in hot water if I use deadly force, but knowing the circumstances under which I can defend myself, I'd rather be alive and take my chances in court.
    I carry ALL the time and therefore do not do anything stupid that will subject me to search. As for "no weapons allowed" signs, tell me really, do you think a sign is going to stop me? Company policy? same thing: I have to be stupid enough to give you reason to find my pistol.
    Oh, and when I hunted I ALWAYS carried a big-bore sidearm (revolver). Common sense...
    My $0.02

6. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    People always use tragedy to try to take our guns away. If all the students @ VT had handguns.....that sick punk might have gotten a couple.

If you take the guns away from the law abiding citizens.....then the only people with guns will be the crooks. People should know, IF YOU BREAK INTO SOMEONE'S HOUSE, YOU'RE GONNA GET SHOT. Same goes for my truck.....I spend more time there than I do @ home....The way I see it...If someone wants to steal from me or the people that have hired me to deliver their product to the person that bought it....they will have to pay the ULTIMATE price.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

That is the point I am trying to make. You say the signs won't stop you or company policy? A law abiding citizen would do what is legal. Guess your not a law abiding citizen.:biggrin_2556:

8. Calinn

Calinn Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Columbia, KY

Walt Disney World went through this fight about 5 years ago and lost horribly. They searched an employee vehicle without a warrant and found a .22 caliber handgun and amunition that the employee used for target shooting. They terminated the employee for violation of the park's no weapon policy. They lost in the Florida Supreme Court. The court stated that since the employee had primary ownership of the vehicle that the inside of the vehicle was to be considered his personnal property and not subject to company rules and policies. In other words, if you are an owner operater that is leased on with a company or under a lease purchase agreement, and have "primary ownership" of the vehicle, then the policy has no bearing on you. The same ruling was expanded by the Florida supreme court to acknowledge that the interior of a vehicle for which the person has "primary ownership" is not subject to corporate rules and policies but only to local state and federal laws. Thus shippers and receivers policy can not apply to the inside of the vehicle. The only exception would be federally regulated areas like airport commerce parks and seaports.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Well when an O/O goes to court for parking at Walt Disney World and it is thrown out of court for having a gun inside the cab, then you can compare apples to apples. There is a big differnce in a CMV and a POV.:biggrin_25524:

10. AuthorAr

AuthorAr Bobtail Member

Guns dont kill people; Jealous husbands who come home from work early do...

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  11. kd5drx

kd5drx <strong>Master of Electronic Communications</stron

Nov 28, 2006
    Some where USA
    Ok i carried a gun in my truck for years when i was on the road. Actually i carried 2. A flare gun in the cab close to the door and a sawed off double barrell 12 gauge in the sleeper. Now i went thru many DOT and even crossed the border several times and never had a problem. The flare gun was loaded with a white phosferous flare. ever seen what willie p does up close its a terrable deterant. and the 12 gauge loaded with 2.40 worth of dimes. 1.20 in each barrel. I was told by a highway patrol man years ago as long as the shotgun stayed in the sleeper it was in my house it was not considered a vehicle at that point and the flare gun was like you say a signaling device and if it happened to signal some scum bags demise so be it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.