Carrying firearms in a truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GasHauler, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    :biggrin_25512:OK, being from La. has nothing to do with it and doesn't make me "clueless". I've done my share of traveling and lived in NYC and New Jersey for over 2 years. I still frequent California. For 12 years I traveled with a band playing about a 30 state area traveling on a bus. I was a competitive shooter for years and frequently traveled with handguns and long guns. These states (and a few others) and their gun laws are quite, shall we say, prohibitive! Especially to those who are non-residents. Under the federal safe passage law, you can travel through a state, regardless of their draconian gun laws, with the gun unloaded and locked in the trunk or rear compartment of the vehicle, provided you are only traveling "through" the state. You may stop for necessities such as fuel, food or vehicle service, then proceed on your way. However, if you were to stop and spend the night or visit with family, you might not be covered by that law, at least accorrding to NRA and a book I'm reading, written by an attorney covering the CCW and Gun Laws of the 50 states. Some states and views of federal law can consider R.V.'s or campers as domicilary and a firearm may be kept in the RV for protection like your home. However, this is not written in stone and in some cases (and states) you could be on shaky ground. It also does not mention tractors or other vehicles that may be slept in. Now as for what I said at the end of my statement, you can like it or not, but the fact still stands that some of these places mentioned, can make you jump through hoops, get papered, printed and spanked just so you can get their "permission" to own a firearm, much less carry or transport one. Communist, well maybe not, but very close. Try reading the communist manifesto sometimes, regarding private firearm ownership. You'll find that the "leaders" in some of these places must have read that book too!
    :biggrin_2554:NOW THAT POST WAS REDUNDANT!!!

SheepDog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hub City

Hub City Bobtail Member

May 25, 2007
    New England
    You wrote: Now as for what I said at the end of my statement, you can like it or not, but the fact still stands that some of these places mentioned, can make you jump through hoops, get papered, printed and spanked just so you can get their "permission" to own a firearm, much less carry or transport one.

I agree... almost. Granted, some states are eaiser than others to get a permit to carry (LTC). After all, this is the topic of the thread: Carrying concealed weapons in a truck.
    If my state is harder to get a permit in than yours. I don't really see how that is communism. My state, MA, has tough gun laws and for good reason. You know those reasons: they are the same ones that make it VERY difficult to get a permit in NY/NJ. And a funny thing about CA: there ar NO LTC permits. (except, of course, law enforcment) NONE! Period. But alot of people carry there and people know this. BTW, I too lived there-9 years- and carried all the time. The penalties are much less than most places...
    My local PD issues the LTC; some PD's don't and that's their choice. I don't see how regulating the issuance of LTC on the local level (state regulated) is communistic. I'm glad they fingerprinted me. make me think twice about using it. And I think the print-thing is now a federal regulation...
    You are right, though, in respect to firearm laws in general. It's a mish-mash of nonsense and ultimately, if you carry beyond your jurisdiction, you'd better be VERY nice to the cop who bags you and be willing to bear the consequences.

Finally, there is NO FEDERAL regulation regarding carring in a truck. Go to the FMCSA website and enter "FIREARM" in the search box. See for yourself! NO REGULATIONS!

Play Safe

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have checked on this before and not found anything in the FMCSA regs.

However, most companies prohibit them in their equipment. This includes the leased equipment. Most of the shippers, receivers also prohibit them.

Whether the law is a factor or not is not important. It is what the companies allow. Is your job important or do you flaunt their rules.

5. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    Take this for what you will. Handguns are virtually illegal in Canada, you can only get a "point to point" permit. That means ONLY from your house to the range for example. No stops in between! Not even the police are allowed to carry their sidearm home. This info comes from my cousins husband, who is a cop in Winnipeg. When I asked him if he felt the laws were helping with crime, he said "hell no, the criminals just know that no-one else has a gun". So more and more laws only restrict the law abbiding. And from several posts on this thread, not even all of them all the time. How about trying to charge criminals with gun crimes etc.? Maybe we do need more prisons, but something should be done to the law breakers before we keep passing laws restricting those following the law. As to guns in the truck, I wish I could comfortably carry my 38 special, but I can't afford to be the guinnea pig.

6. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    Without advocating for, or against, the practice of firearms in a CMV, please explain how an interstate traveler might defend their self against a criminal element willing to use lethal force to neutralize said traveler for the sole purpose of stealing the traveler's property?

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have never had a problem in over 8 years. I do not carry anything bigger than tire thumper. No chemical sprays or knives.

8. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    Many LEOs work an entire career and never unholster their sidearm, and they are hired guns.

But, what if?

A few years ago a doped up "Gangsta" wannabe attempted to rob me on a dark terminal trailer lot. He thought I was about to defend myself and he proceeded to unloaded a .45 auto in my direction as he ran away into the dark. I won't say he was shooting at me because no lead hit my truck, but he did hit a few nearby trailers. I was packing, but it's pretty hard to get a little pocket pistol out, ####ed, and aimed at a target you can't even see while eating dirt behind a tractor tandem. In my mind, I wonder, what if I'd seen him coming and had been ready (locked & loaded)? How might my life be different today? I'm certain his life would have taken a turn for the worse, and maybe mine, as well. Thankfully, I'll never know.

Weapons are tools. It is always best to have the tool and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

VA Tech comes to mind. Absolutely against school rules to possess a firearm on campus, but guess what? The crazy-azzed criminal paid little attention to those rules. That day would have turned out much better if there had been two shooters locked inside that building, and one of them was shooting back.

crazyhorse1 Thanks this.
  9. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    :biggrin_25512: Criminals kill people for their property everyday. It's not really my property I'm worried about. Sure I don't want anyone to take my property, but alot of these coneheads today will shoot you, knife you or cave in your skull, even if you comply with everything they tell you. I've seen it time and time again. It seems like with some of them, it's the gangsta thing to do, to "off" somebody. Some will do it to see what it's like, others just don't care, some don't want witnesses, you name it. If I'm rolling down the highway in a big truck, it's going to be very hard for them to stop me or cause me harm. But sooner or later, you will have to stop, sleep, fuel up, eat, shower, go to the can, break down or deliver a load in a high crime area. That's when you are most vulnerable. The loneliest feeling I've ever had was traveling through the desert in New Mexico at about 3 in the morning and broke down. I agree, many of you have never had a problem, but there's a hell of alot of us who have. Some never lived to tell about it. THAT is my concern.

10. Gazoo

Gazoo Resident Mental Patient

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    Okay, first off, as a Conceal Carry Permit holder....RULE#1: ALWAYS CARRY YOUR GUN ####ED AND READY TO FIRE. The 1.2 seconds need to pull your slide back could mean the difference between life and death. For years I would never carry my guns loaded, until I heard stories about in a panic situation, how difficult it was to pull out your gun, pull the slide back and get into defense mode. So, with me, there is ALWAYS a round in the chamber....PERIOD!
    As far as the VT incident is concerned....it is a sad day in history that could possibly been avoided or even had the outcome changed if our Right to Bear Arms was not so discriminated against. Unfortunately, others know more than I do and we will never enjoy all of the freedoms that we are entitled to. Criminals don't follow laws, that's what makes them criminals. If guns are not permitted on school grounds, then how did the above massacre happen? Only if......

SheepDog and I am medicineman Thank this.
  11. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Perfect reason YOU and others like you shouldn't carry one. Funny, the thought (or fantasy) of shooting out someone's tires because they pissed me off never crossed my mind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.