Carrying gasoline for generator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I also found this diesel generator.

Super Quiet Long Run 6 kW Diesel Generator

That must be some kind of Chinese engine in that because the price is only 2475. It's nice because everything is enclosed and looks like it would be weatherproof and it's small enough to put on the catwalk.

I don't think it would be as easy on fuel though as the gasoline generators.

Rideandrepair, Vampire and Elroythekid Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    If your going to do diesel, might as well draw from the truck tanks. This one is available with or without a radiator so you could plumb it into the truck cooling system to warm the engine.
    Kubota 3.5 kW Micro Diesel Generator - Hardy Diesel

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    RE: the pull cord on the Predator... it's only going to go about 200 hours before it gets chewed through and falls off. Just the vibration ftom the engine running does it. My Honda did the same thing. The bad part is, it's a major job to replace it on the Predator. My Honda (open frame inverter) only takes about 10 minutes.

I ended up using some paracord that I got at wally and it seems to be a lot more abrasion resistant. I'd go ahead and replace the crappy rope it comes with before you even put it on the truck.

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    When I had the Predator on the truck, I put the pull cord side facing away from the cab and used a mirror to do an oil change, which admittedly, after having the unit for a while, was only every 1000 hours or so with Wally synthetic 10w30. It probably had 6000 hours on it when I retired it for the Honda.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I would use the electric start and the pull cord would just be for a dead battery.

But don't you have to check that oil from time to time? Or I guess you just used the mirror?

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Do you have room between the quarter fender and the tank to mount it like an APU? You can create mounting brackets akin to those green apu uses and create yourself a nice enclosure for whatever generator works out for you.

One other important thing I’ll add. Please ensure you have a CO detector in the bunk.

Keep us posted. I’d like to see your setup when you’re done.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    °°°°**** IMPORTANT NOTICE ****°°°°°

when installing a generator on the catwalk.....move the catwalk as far FORWARD as possible..... and move the hitch back then SLOWLY turn and check the clearance...

As to the pull cord #1 I can still reach it.
    #2 if I need to use it it's time to replace the generator... the battery is charged the it's running and its running every day or 2 so if it doesn't turn over something it wrong...

In the pic you can see how far I moved the catwalk

Attached Files:

lilillill, Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    548BA311-061F-48D2-9595-65A0B82888E7.png 5F2397F7-E896-4E23-B7F6-983E34BB4AD8.png
    . I ran mine till it quit. Low oil shutdown. Add some oil, it runs. The suggested oil change interval was not very long, on my 2000w Chinese Honda knockoff from Walmart $(450) Didn’t take long, carb started bleeding and flooding. Tried to fix it. Broke the enclosed cover. At that point, I threw it in a dumpster where it belonged. I now have a 1800w Wen brand. They’re about the cheapest brand pricewise. Brand new on Craigslist for $100 from someone. Pull cord broke. I start it with an electric drill and socket. Use it at the yard to run my A/C vacuum pump. The Predator has a problem with the fuel delivery. Check YouTube. There’s something you need to do to avoid problems. I think all the Chinese Gasoline Generators are about the same. Like tires, 40 different names and models of the same thing. I’ve found small Diesels on Alibaba. Great prices, electric start, Shipping??? Will it ever arrive after sending money??? Most have minimum purchases of 5,10, 100. Whatever. Quite a few are a minimum of 1. I couldn’t find the one I liked. But here’s a few examples. Many are 50KZ. But a few claim to be capable of 50 or 60KZ. That’s a whole other issue. 50KZ is European standard. 60KZ is US. Buyer Beware. But there are diesel units under 5000w with electric start. Amazon Portable Diesel generator search pulls up gasoline generators. Useless. There’s one brand that sticks out. Yanmar Maybe?

10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    If it is, they build an excellent diesel. Basically just as good as a Kubota which will practially run until the end of time.

Rideandrepair, Dino soar and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  11. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I suggest you use the money you'd spend on this setup as a down payment on a brand new apu then pay 350 a month for two years. Buy the extended warranty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.