Carrying gasoline for generator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Sep 28, 2021.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Nm.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Where?

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    It's not about the container, it's about the quantity. Over 8gal you have to have placards. The approved containment is obvious. I haven't had a chance to look thru the US hazmat yet but I hopefully will this weekend.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet, no one has been able to show said regulation......

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What's the difference between a semi hauling 8 gallons of gas and a car packing 11+ gallons?

7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Flammable Liquids
    The Department of Transportation (DOT) has strict guidelines for shippers involved in the transport of hazardous materials. Class 3 flammable liquids are one of the most commonly transported dangerous goods worldwide, so it is essential for shippers to understand how to do so safely and in accordance with the law.

Only approved portable tanks and containers may be used to store and transport class 3 flammable liquids. Portable tanks must include provisions for emergency vents that can be used to decrease internal pressure under fire exposure conditions. They must also have at least one pressure-activated vent.

Small containers holding less than 8 gallons of flammable liquid and with a weight less than 440 pounds can be transported by anyone who has undergone general hazmat training. The shipment must include MSDS sheets and must be appropriately labeled as “Gasoline” or “Flammable Liquid.”

[​IMG]

When transporting larger quantities of flammable liquids, the requirements of the Department of Transportation are much stricter. While the only documentation required for certain small shipments are MSDS sheets, larger shipments must include an emergency response guide and hazmat bill of lading. Drivers who transport more than 119 gallons or more than 1,001 pounds of class 3 dangerous goods must also have a commercial driver’s license, or CDL. Extensive driver training is also highly recommended for those who carry large amounts.

Shippers who transport containers that hold less than 8 gallons and weigh more than 440 pounds but less than 1,001 pounds and containers that hold between 8 and 119 gallons and weigh less than 1,001 pounds must complete emergency response guide training as well as HM-126F training.

Lastly, all shipments of class 3 flammable liquids must be labeled appropriately. Class 3 flammable liquid labels should be affixed to all small containers to let anyone handling them know that the materials contained within are dangerous. Dangerous Good placards are required by 49 CFR 172.500 as well as the International Maritime Organization. Such placards must be affixed to highway, rail and ocean containers. They are generally made from fade- and water-resistant vinyl to ensure longevity and to prevent them from falling off during transit.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wrong, it is all about the container. A 10 gallon tote doesn’t qualify as a legal qualified container, but a 10 gallon tank mounted to the side of the truck does.

what everyone is missing is this fact that there is a clear division between the truck and the cargo of the truck, where is the regulation about the truck?

Like a gasoline pony motor mounted to a truck to power a pump, it has a separate gas tank mounted to the chassis, so that’s illegal now?

nope, it is legal as long as the tank meets the us dot requirements.

so then propane tank mounted to the chassis holding a reportable quantity now requires placards?

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well please don't think that I'm arguing because I'm not but if you can come up with the regulation and show it to me then I can see how to interpret it.

You can tell me yes or no but if you go back a few post there was a Hazmat chart that was listed and I think that's what you are referring to. That instruction is only about cargo that you are carrying not a mounted tank for auxiliary equipment.

If you read the regulations for 393.67, it seems pretty clear what they are referring to and what the regulations actually are, including anywhere a fitting is there must be a nub welded into the tank, and for any fuels aside from diesel they must draw from the top of the tank above the normal fuel level, and gravity fed fuel systems are not permitted. And of course it must be vented.

And they specifically discuss side-mounted auxiliary tanks carrying fuel for auxiliary equipment.

In this case I agree with @Ridgeline 100%.

Or an F800 dump truck carrying 25 or 30 gallons of gasoline.

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Or 2 100 gallon gasoline tanks on a semi for that matter. Not all semis were always Diesels. Used to be plenty of Gassers. I think placards only apply to cargo. I recall one hazmat placarded load I delivered. Multiple stops to beauty supply houses. The hazardous material was nail polish and hair coloring. What they need is a regulation identifying the tank as having gasoline in it. The whole point of placards is for Firefighters on the scene, being able to identify the Cargo. Gasoline is so volatile. The gasoline tank should be marked IMO, on a Diesel Powered Truck, in the rare case of an accident with fire, for the same reason. The whole idea of carrying gasoline on my Truck in any form bothers me.

11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    So all these hotshots hauling 3 or 4 gasoline powered cars requires hazmat placards and insurance covering hazmat?
    Never seen a real car hauler with hazmat placards either? Not all them vehicles can have less than 8 gallons in them?

The #### some people fill there day with amusement me.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.