Carrying gasoline for generator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Those regulations are obviously about shippers and shipments.

393.67 clearly describes the regulations for auxiliary tanks for auxiliary equipment.

Completely different situation and completely different regulations.

Vampire and flood Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    so by YOUR interpretation PETRO is a shipper and your truck has placards because your hauling 200 gl of flammable liquid......??

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    When your commercial it's different. There is no rule about a tank for a generator. Was told diesel tanks are not approved for carrying over 8 gal of gas. Gas and diesel are different. So it's a grey area. Most DOT will follow the 8 gal rule. Some may not care. I went as far as calling a number i found on line from the FMCSA hazmat pages, same answer. I've asked several jnspectors and ALWAYS was told 8 gal.
    Do what ever you want, you may get away with it, you may not.

5. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    What question did you ask? Did you ask how much gas can I carry before I have to hazmat? Or did you say I have an auxiliary generator that is used on my commercial vehicle how big of a dot approved auxiliary gas tank can I mount to the frame of my truck?
    The law you posted is clearly for shipping. There is a section on auxiliary fuel tanks. There is really nothing to disagree there is no grey area the law clearly states what is allowed.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I asked if I could mount a 20 or 25 gallon tank permanently to the frame, permanently plumber to a permanently mounted generator, with a fuel pump installed, bypassing the generator fuel tank.
    NO.
    It was probably 4 years ago, go for it. Good luck. I'm amazed when people come here and ask questions, and when given the DIRECTIVE I've been given, they wont believe it.
    Good luck.

7. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Unfortunately, the law for a gas generator on a diesel truck doesnt exist. Its grey area. So the regular they use is that one. Dont shoot the messenger

8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    In your defense, since the question even had to be asked in the first place, it is clear that there WILL be a cop that interprets it the way you are saying regardless of being right or not. If it wasnt somewhat ambiguous, we wouldnt have to do anything other than post the regulation that clearly states yes or no with 0 wiggle room

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry not a gray area. The us dot has had the same laws and regulations on the books for the past 65 years.

I don’t even think an enforcement office would ding a driver for a properly mounted tank, if they did, taking it to court would be a simple solution.

ready2truck Thanks this.
  10. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    IMG_0644.jpg
    If it's not a grey area, show me the regulation that permits it? Because there are several regulations that sorta say it's not possible to have over 8gal. If you've been doing this for a while, you know what it's like to deal with some the fellows the picture above depicts.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Vampire Thanks this.
  11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Carrying it in a can (portable tank)
    Is not the same as a mounted tank (non portable)

Now show me where in 393.67 it saids anything about size limits on GAS tanks....

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.