Carrying gasoline for generator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Sep 28, 2021.

1. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Sounds like the person you talked to didn't know the law.
    Fmcsa covers auxiliary fuel tanks right here § 393.67
    Its not a grey area.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Vampire and Dino soar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020
    The rules in this section apply to tanks containing or supplying fuel for the operation of commercial motor vehicles or for the operation of auxiliary equipment installed on, or used in connection with commercial motor vehicles.

That bold underlined part covers a gas generator on a diesel truck. You are wrong and the people that gave you that information are wrong. Anyone agreeing with you is also wrong.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    So is 10 gallons haz or not?

I really don't want to keep my endorsement just so I can drive my car.

5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I just read all of 363. Nowhere does it deal with this directly.
    I also read it the way you are, I wanted to put a 25 gal take on the frame, I was told I wasnt allowed and made the calls. Not 1 call, several, and asked at the scales, not 1, several. A couple scale offices said they didnt know, but most said 8gal. At that point I gave up, it's not worth the risk of fines and out of service.
    This is not my OPINION, it's the words of the officers I spoke to. It's not what I wanted to hear, but ya cant always get what you want.
    MAYBE, their view on it has changed in 4 years. Let me know, I'd still love to do it myself.
    I just didnt want to be the Guinea pig.
    Have a great day.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Wow, really? That's the best you have? "Let's compare apples to oranges shall we, it's the most intelligent thing I can do"

7. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020
    The law covers gasoline auxiliary fuel tanks directly it's right there in 393.67
    Did you reference 393.67 and tell them explain that to you if I can't have a bigger tank then explain that section?
    If you read 363 no wonder you didn't see it lol.

The section you posted about 8 gallons clearly says cargo and says shipper and other things. the section you're quoting clearly has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There are no regulations that state the size of a non cargo compliant fuel container permanently mounted as a part of a vehicle.

393.67 Liquid fuel tanks - gives the regulation governing the fuel tank.

571.301 Standard No. 301; Fuel system integrity - gives the general requirements for fuel system integration on the vehicle. It is used also for >10k gvw vehicles.

it is not a cargo tank - 178.320 General requirements applicable to all DOT specification cargo tank motor vehicles.

As for placarding and consideration of it being hazmat even if it is over 8 gallons, well no.

ready2truck Thanks this.
  9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    View attachment 385466

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    snowwy Thanks this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    @Elroythekid

I get that you called. But somewhere along the line either they didn't know what they're talking about or there is a miscommunication.

393.67 is not an ambiguous rule. It very clearly states having an auxiliary tank mounted for auxiliary equipment and if the fuel type is not diesel it must draw from the top and it gives other requirements including it cannot be gravity-fed.

That section also discusses gasoline and there is no limit to what you carry as far as the side tank there are no placards or Hazmat or anything associated with that, it is very clear.

You received faulty information. That regulation clearly outlines that it is legal and what is required for it to be legal.

Of course an enforcement officer can try to make problems for anything on your truck you know that if they want to give you a ticket they'll find something but as far as this goes it's 100% legal.

It is extremely clear in the regulations. And it is extremely clear in the Hazmat regulations that that is about shipments and cargo.

It would not be the first time a dot cop got it wrong.

Vampire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.