Carrying While Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Sep 22, 2019.

1. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I'm sure this has already been covered many times, but I'm lazy and bored. Does anyone carry a firearm with them? Maybe even if it's against company policy? The company I'm going to be working for (Schneider) doesn't allow "weapons" in their trucks and even though I'm perfectly fine with private companies making rules such as this, I think it's pretty stupid to say the least. Does anyone ever check your truck? What's the usual consequences if caught? Do they send you to Levenworth, or a boy band concert as a punishment? Furthermore, what exactly do they mean by, "Weapons?" Does that mean no zappy zappy or liquid death? Louisville slugger?

Best regards, John

spindrift Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That all depends on where you get caught, and who catches you. lol
    I kept one at all times, even though I traveled through states that they were illegal to have, but quit when I started running through Canada on a regular basis. I sometimes do again now, but not all the time.

4. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Kinda funny how before I thought this was a sweet gig because I planned on using some of the money I make to buy an arsenal of hunting weapons and hunt all throughout North America on my days off, but I guess the American Dream long passed since my time *sighs*

Coffey, Badmon, Iowa80 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Now I gotta consider conceal carrying a 38 revolver in an appendix holster, dare anyone to check there hahaha

izifaddag Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It depends on who.

I am a licensed carry in Arkansas and can go into a number of other states. However for example Maryland does not honor nothing except her own permit system. I constantly check their banned weapons list because the colt I carry was very similar to a model reviewed by the Marines once upon a time. And the ammunition is either surplus police or essentially hollowpoint with one job. Stop the bad guy. I also use hardcast flatnosed jacket in 255 grain for super at 1350 in .45 thats for bear. Literally black or grizzly bears or any bear that has fur on it. It has the ability to penetrate 30 inches of bone. But I would never want to find out.

Employer? HA. They can fire me they can sue me they can do whatever but concealed is concealed. We already have had our tractor invaded when a sexual offender latched onto my spouse causing her to seek safety in the corner below the pax seat as he came through the drivers door. long story short he saved his own life by running away as I came out of he sleeper for his neck which was handed to me on a very big silverplatter. would have been a huge mess.

Anything is possible. The best days are when nothing happens. We recently added enhanced carry which means we can conceal carry inside government buildings, churches and particularly public colleges. Or the State House itself. Thats with a one day training with the State Police to hunt active shooters per our state law. I am IDF trained for that already but the State requires that level of licensing for otherwise banned facilities that prevent regular CHL from entering because again they have not had that training.

I am working on proficiency again. got a little rust that needs breaking off at the range. When you have had surgeries or getting older certain options are not options anymore such as Krav. You can apply that one time against a bad guy but you will be carted to the hospital to fix the stuff you tore out doing so. Its easier just to recognzie the three things needed to be met to draw.

In addition to that you have a last will already ready, executor picked, living will on you and funeral home disposal of bodies paid for in advance. So if the bad guy did get you then a phone call takes care of your body without imposing on your grieving family a excessive burden. Life insurance and Civil Insurance also.

In addition USCCA insurance is a must they are the first resource for anywhere in the USA with carry. I don't profit from sharing this information, been with them since 2011 when they were just under 200,000 members. For example bail is a possibility. And every day you sit in court being tried for it it's 500 something dollars cash paid to you. (Each day) Among other things. Another very valuable benefit is they cover you for knife, hammer, fists or shoving. If you are charged with a violent crime using your body or anything in reach other than a gun, you are covered. As long you are not the aggressor.

7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Depending on where you wind up running, there are places that it would be a straight ticket to some serious jail time. I don't care one way or the other, but don't get caught in NY city, NJ or maryland, unless you plan to stay a while. lol Or going in to Canada.
    There are several other states, but a guy doesn't want to be caught in, but probably not a prison offense.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    With a concealed carry permit you can carry in any state that has a reciprocal agreement with your state. But many companies do not allow it and if you ever go to government installations or chemical plants you may be searched.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A 38 does not conceal well there. I have a 4 inch thunder ranch for home defense and the like. It does not hide well in anything other than winter. (Get some hand warmers and toss into the gun pocket...)

I wear pants into the higher sizes to make the big colt disappear with it's holster and magazine holder. Otherwise anyone who has been around a gun for a minute would know I am carrying. (Thats not welcome)

izifaddag and farmerjohn64 Thank this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have carried long guns through Canada, several times, no problems as long as you tell them and buy the permit, at least it was no problem the last time I went through.

farmerjohn64 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Maryland does NOT. They offer a out of state annually for 80. And a instate version as well. You almost have to prostrate yourself as a victim to get this one.

NJ and NY are the two states I would not carry. Not only they don't honor, the weapon and or the ammunition are also banned. apparently they think a little .380 is plenty for all folks up there. Not 100 year old hand cannons.

Gumboslef9384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.