CAT C-12

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by LBZ, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    No... buy a compressor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollinsmoke

rollinsmoke Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    How come its not possible?

4. Jas

Jas Medium Load Member

It is possible to get the piston and liner out as a whole but it requires a special tool which is probably more expensive than a ring compressor. The special tool is two aluminium cones the face each other with a large rubber ring in between them you wind the center bolt which pulls the two cones together squeezing the rubber tight against the bore you then wind the engine over with a turning tool and the piston push up on the tool and pops the liner out, you can then pull the liner and piston out together. We used to have one of these tools and it was very handy, ours was modified with a lifting lug on the top so you could lock it in the bore and then lift the tool with the crane, no recomended but it did make ripping an engine apart very quick and easy. The purpose of this tool is to speed up disassembly of the engine not so you can replace liner o-rings without removing the piston form the liner. You would be best to by an adjustable band type ring compressor as they are pretty cheap and work well if looked after.

5. Krooser

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Cool tool... but, as you said, a ring compressor would be much cheaper... and then you have it for life.

6. Krooser

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    With a little luck it won't be a hole in the liner like I'm fixing on my CAT...

7. underdogg

underdogg Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Bridgetown,Barbados
    so can u tell me what are the proper codes to put in the computer the engine does not smoke when driving,it does not burn oil,coolant level does not go down,but sometimes it would hard start then when it starts you would see a little smoke which smells like diesel.

8. overdalimit

overdalimit Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have a C12 in a 2000 KW T2000. The engine is bad but I've gotten 1,296,000 before it went out. It has serious blowby (maybe a broken ring). I can tell you this and read carefully, those engines were good for having bad cam followers so make SURE you have you overhead run at the proper intervals, this is VERY important to this engine. I had a cam follower break on my way to Montana from Michigan and it wiped a cam lobe. I thought it was a bad injector and drove it all the way to the Cat house in Montana where they replaced all the followers with updated parts and installed a new cam to the tune of 5 grand. The sucker pulls like a scaled dog and I haven't had any problems until a few months ago when it started this huge thblowby issue which led to a huge oil consumption problem...... but its got over a million on it so I feel that it has served me well. Just do the overheads! When its time...

9. overdalimit

overdalimit Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Louisiana
    Oh yeah... the C12 replaced the 3126 which was composed of the block, a spacer, and then the head bolted on top of that. Cat had some sealing issues with the spacer,head,block combo so they came up with the C12 as a replacement that had a taller block to eliminate the spacer... like I said though, its a good engine but make sure it has the overhead run when it time because if this engine runs loose it tends to break/bend that follower which in turn can cause castrophic engine failure...

10. underdogg

underdogg Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Bridgetown,Barbados
    I got the overhead done twice since then but the problem is still there the truck is just very slow i am waiting now on the injectors to know if they are bad so thanks for your help and i will keep u inform

11. Slick900

Slick900 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Waterloo Ontario
    There is a 4 digit number on each injector,,,from what I understand,,a tech needs to get into your ecm and make sure that the 4 digit number on each injector,is the same number that is entered into the ecm for each cylinder,,,the 4 digit code tells the ecm certain specifics about each injector,,,so the ecm can make adjustments and do its best to keep everything running smooth!!!
    The tech will have to open up the top covers and should be able to see the numbers on each injector and then confirm that they are in the ecm correctly!!!
    Mine didn't smoke or use coolant,,oil or anything,,,just had a goofy shudder/miss,,,its been gone since the correct #'s from the injector body where entered into the ecm!!! Hope that helps!!!

underdogg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.