Cat C-15 mxs fuel pressure ?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by cjreckart, Nov 26, 2011.

1. cjreckart

cjreckart Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Uniontown Pa
    06 mxs it has 70 psi at an idol an 98 psi at wot. Is this good or can it be higher? It has the new style pump on it is the any way of making the pressure higher ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    98 is a lot more than I have on my 5EK 3406....

4. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    You can go higher with a spring upgrade from CAT to roughly 105 at WOT under a load

5. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    leave the 5EK pump alone. The 5EK was more of a volume system versus a high pressure system of the newer engines.

6. Nevs

Nevs Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    flyover country (Iowa)
    I replaced the transfer pump on my MXS with a new one from Cat. It only had 75-80# at WOT, so I put the high pressure spring kit in. I still only have 90# after replacing the spring. It seems to run OK, I just expected more pressure. Thoughts anyone?

7. Rig Wrench

Rig Wrench Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    northeast
    U could shim the pump, not recomended to go above 115 though I believe

8. Far_Call

Far_Call Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Australia
    The relief valve in the actual Fuel pump is a Safety Relief valve to protect the pump if there is a restriction between the pump itself and the 233-6742 VALVE GP-CHECK –FUEL such as a Blocked/restricted Secondary filter or fuel line obstruction.

What Cat realized in late 2009 was the Safety relief valve in the pump was set too low and it was constantly going off resulting in low Fuel pressure and little work for the 233-6742 VALVE GP-CHECK to do.

Ideally the 233-6742 VALVE GP-CHECK should be controlling the fuel rail Pressure and the Pump Safety relief Valve should never Crack off at all unless there is a blockage and or restriction causing the Pump Safety Relief Valve to modulate..

A typical way to test the Pump Safety Relief Valve in the Pump is to block the return fuel line at the Secondary filter where it goes back to Tank or where the hose returns off the back of the Cylinder head.
    Idle the engine and record the pressure.
    WARNING!!! DO NOT INCREASE ENGINE RPM ABOVE IDLE whilst you have the return line closed off for testing.
    Make sure the gauge is on the Filter inlet side so as to notice the Pump Safety Relief Valve open and close. You can see the Needle “Jumping” as the valve Modulates (pops open and close).

This test result will then support the argument as to whether the 233-6742 VALVE GP-CHECK or the Pump or the Pump Safety Relief Valve is faulty.

It is also a good Idea to check both sides of the Secondary filter for pressure differential to ensure no restrictions across the system between pump and Cylinder head Rail pressure.
    Having said that its of the utmost important to check the Fuel pressure on both sides of the Secondary filter PRIOR to testing the Pump Safety Relief Valve.

A partially Blocked Secondary Fuel filter will record a Higher than normal Fuel pressure due to the inability of the Pump Safety relief valve to bypass enough flow to manage the pressure. (when recorded on the inlet side of the Secondary Filter Head). So another words sometimes HIGH fuel pressure at this test point can mean a Secondary filter Restriction causing low fuel Rail pressure hence the importance of checking fuel both sides of the Secondary Filter Head.

This HIGH reading also gives the impression all is well when in fact its quite the opposite!

9. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Thanks Far Call. I have fuel PSI gauges for my FASS and the secondary filter installed on my truck. For about 2 months I noticed the secondary gauge was bouncing the needle 5 psi or so. I figured it was the actual pump going bad and not the pump safety relief. After replacing the pump I did notice a pretty decent improvement in performance and the old pumps bearings were starting to come apart. I just figured the improvement was from replacing a bad pump...maybe it was a combination.

10. cjreckart

cjreckart Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Uniontown Pa
    So with all that being said shld i be worried about my pressure or will it be fine the way it is. I no on my C-13 it has the old style pump on it and it ran some were around 110 psi at wot.

11. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Your pressure is fine at 98 psi at WOT. More than likely your pressure is actually lower than 98 when you are under load. If you want to try shimming the pump to bring it up a tad you can, but yours is fine for now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.