Cat C12 Engine badly grounded? Sparks between frame and HYDRAULIC HOSE

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ichudov, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I noticed something very odd. When starting my truck's C12 engine, in twilight, I noticed sparks between a steel braided hydraulic hose connected to PTO, and the frame, where the hose rubbed!

(that actually ruined the hose and it blew up today).

This made me think and I realized that the most likely reason is that the engine is badly grounded, and the huge starting current is seeking other ground connections.

If so... Where exactly is C12 engine grounded to the frame?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I know A badly grounded Motor can fry your ECM you should have one ground above the starter right below the head and then your starter should have a ground going back to your batteries and one to the frame and sometimes there’s one over by the alternator going to the frame but it really doesn’t matter as long as you’re grounding the motor to the frame and the batteries are grounded !

ichudov Thanks this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009

Good chance it could catch on fire! Garbage truck did that to a co-worker years ago.

ichudov Thanks this.
  5. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I added a big grounding wire. I had a nice two foot 2/0 gauge wire laying around with good ring terminals. I hooked it up between a side of my engine and the frame. I used copper bearing grease on both sides to facilitate conductivity and to prevent corrosion.

Since the cable is sort of behind everything, I highlighted it with red arrows below.

20190224_153417.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  6. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    Is that a ground post on your head right by the C12 sticker?if it is pull it apart clean it and done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.