CAT C13 ACERT KCB LOW POWER AFTER REBUILD

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by wtokhi, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

1. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    hey ya'll,
    recently rebuilt a KCB C13 acert with an eaton autoshift, started up great and runs fine, put in all new injectors and got both turbos checked out at Cat and they came back fine. it runs okay as it should but uphill it doesnt exactly struggle but it just doesn't seem to have the power it used a long while back it was lazy before the rebuild also, uphill and the speed comes back down to 40 to 45 with a very light load, im not sure what the problem could be, we've changed everything as far power is concerned, im not sure what else we could do to get it back to it's former glory, an ecu tune maybe? idk, any thoughts?

2. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Bad time of year breaking in a new or rebuilt engine .. your down on power till engine breaks in also it’s harder to pull in cold weather plus you have a power loss if your running winter fuel.. your engine may be making proper power but with other factors it doesn’t feel like it..

spsauerland and wtokhi Thank this.
  3. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    we've had it running for over a month so i think it broke in earlier before the cold set in, im in California also so too cold weather aint really a problem

4. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Your other thread about oil in water contradicts this thread though. Your driver says it runs great and better than before. So my question is, did it just now start losing power and ran great in the first couple thousand miles?
    What is your fuel psi at idle and under power?
    Put some shop air to the fuel tank but only throw about 1 to 2 psi at it. That will show you if you have a leak at the supply to the fuel pump.
    Is your boost psi the same as before the rebuild? Any extra lag?

wtokhi Thanks this.
  5. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I apologize for that, so yes I guess it was rubbing
    I apologize for that so yeah I guess it was running good and then slowly lost its power I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on the truck but I'll connect my computer and take a look, there doesn't seem to be lag and the turbos spool up fine

6. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    get a reading of fuel preeure at idle and under load or at least engine revved up.
    Also check the suction line with shop air at tank like i mentioned.

wtokhi Thanks this.
  7. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    what psi should i be looking for

8. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    85 PSI @ 1800 RPM. You do anything with VVA housings during overhaul?

pushbroom, Chubby Fly and wtokhi Thank this.
  9. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    uhh nope, i know two of the VVAs were changed last year, there are no VVA codes and it idles fine at cold temperature

• Draft saved Draft deleted