Cat c15 Sdp rebuild help

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dustinbrock, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I prefer to go no thinner than a .030 shim.

SAR, dustinbrock and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I wouldn't ever waste my time doing anything but all holes, just seems like you'd be asking for trouble.

Sending the head out Monday, counter bores all getting cut Tuesday, new spacer plate being picked up (will mic) , epoxy for my water jackets at that time. New liners are being ordered in and I'm sending my new head bolts, turbo and exhaust studs in for a cryogenic freezing treatment.

SAR, pushbroom, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    like I said earlier. very seldom does a cat blow a head gasket without a root cause. seen it all too often guys just measure the protrusion as per the book and its "within spec" and they simply put another gasket in.

removing your liners and measuring the material recession around the liner flange seating surface, has proven to you what the root cause of failure is. Unfortunately most times when this occurs the fire ring frets into the head face. Without close inspection that can go unnoticed and cause another gasket failure.

the machine shop takes hardly anything off when they face it to repair the fretting. they can do it with the valves still in and it gives you an excuse to reseal your injector sleeves

Oxbow, SAR and dustinbrock Thank this.
  5. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    what pistons are you putting in it?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I'm running Mahle pistons. Im reusing the pistons, rods and wrist pins as they've only got 4 months use on them.... new rings.

The liners all measure decent but I'm replacing them with FP Diesel (Federal Mogul) ones for good measure.

I am not a fan of Cat reman at all when it comes to liners and pistons.

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  7. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    spewing your pistons are so new. perfect opportunity for 16:1 comp pistons.

I still use genuine cat rings on the rebuilds I do.

8. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    What would be the benefit of going 16:1? I've heard guys going 16:1 or 16:2 and doing a iva and twin delete.... are you suggesting I do that, or go 16:1 and keep the iva and twins?

9. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    we go 16:1 and 70 pin ECM so no IVAs. we also go single turbo too. but its expensive to do that.

I don't care what emissions based sales pitch anyone provides to justify the IVAs. cat needed the comp and the boost to burn the fuel in a hot enough combustion process to meet emissions. but that dynamic cylinder pressure in a truck application with decent HP was never going to be durable. so basically they put jake brake on the inlet valve to bleed off some cylinder pressure and keep the liners from milling into the block and the head gasket from torching.

if it were my truck id rather go 16:1. if it were mine id be fitting 16:1 pistons. if you didn't want to or budget didn't permit id still fit the 16:1 pistons and keep the twins and IVAs. id just set the IVA clearance to 0.055" so they weren't as aggressive.

10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    PhotoGrid_1487379283113.png

As you can see, the emission side is not my issue as to why I've kept them active....

I work in the Alberta oilfield where modified cats are very common and guys have the money to build how they want. I have never met a guy with a cat who has not been surprised how much better on fuel mine was. I've got friends with sdp converted 6nz, MXS and nxs, original 6nz and even bridges..... I just assumed my 18:1 was the reason why my fuel mileage has been better so I never even considered changing it.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about price to do it as I was planning on replacing both turbos and the brackets and manifold right now anyways.... a single swap would be dirt cheap compared to.... I don't see any reason to swap the ecm though? Anything that a 70 pin needs can be programmed into my current ecm.

Great info and I seriously appreciate it! Durability is something I really am thinking about right now as I'm sick of opening this engine up!

11. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    70 pin and old school injectors with an early file have a reasonable amount of timing about them and burn much cooler and more efficiently. you need to go back to a 6nz or 800hp marine cam also to gain the benefits. if you have someone you trust enough to turn your 120pin ACERT ECM into a 6nz then by all means. everyone that writes files here stretches the inj pulsewidth and rings the neck of the injector tip. with the same size injector the only way to get more fuel in is by increasing the time the fuel is injected over. a tip can only physically flow so much volume. you want more volume it needs to be delivered over a longer period (more pw). believe it or not but the rest of the engine doesn't wait for that to ocour. it keeps going. meaning fuel is stil being injected as the piston is traveling down... excess heat, carbon build up from incomplete burn, oil consumption...etc etc.

with a 70 pin and 8501 squirts I know everything is as it should be and no "tuner" has poured extra juice in....while the piston is moving away from TDC. if I want more power I step up to 8502 squirts.

the 70 pins seems to drive much nicer too. in my opinion

but 70 pin means changing cam gear and installing the sensor in the timing gear backing plate

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.